What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Want/Need a New Engine Monitor

StuBob

Well Known Member
My RV-7 came to me with a G3X Touch, GTN-750, GFC-500 and, unfortunately, a JPI FuelScan 450 and EI-UBG-16 engine monitor. It also has Van’s fuel, oil pressure, oil temp, MP, and tachometer, none of which have alarms or annunciators. I’d like to upgrade and streamline this arrangement.

Recent posts here have soured me on the Garmin EIS interface with the G3X, as I want to see all 4 bars for the EGT and CHT all the time. My Cessna has a JPI 730, which I like a lot, and which talks to that airplane’s GTN-650.

So I’m looking for recommendations on this. The Garmin EIS has the obvious advantage of taking up no panel space and should be cheaper, since it doesn’t require me to buy a new display. But, like I said, it looks like it doesn’t show what I want it to show. Like everyone, I’m interested in price, but I’m more interested in ease of installation, including interface with the existing probes and displays.

Thanks in advance.

Check out the CGR30P, EI has a fantastic product.

i-cRk2zXg-L.jpg

i-HqwD85Q-L.jpg

I like the JPI products. They're easy to install and pretty inexpensive comparatively. If by a remote chance you have an issue it might take a little time to get a correct answer because technical support goes through a sale's manager lady who's been there many years but isn't a technician, so she'll reply what she's heard before even if it's not what you need. Good news is that if you keep at it you'll eventually get a technician who will give you a good answer. By then you might have figured it out on your own though.

I still like them more than MGL which is also inexpensive but it's hard to get anyone to give you support. They'll send you a few emails with possible fixes but then ghost you when they don't work after sending you an email telling you it should work but you should just move on and ignore the fact that it's not working correctly and enjoy the rest of the MGL equipment.

I guess the majority of manufacturers nowadays are like that, so buy from a reputable and experienced installer so they will fix it if you have issues.

Last edited:
Recent posts here have soured me on the Garmin EIS interface with the G3X, as I want to see all 4 bars for the EGT and CHT all the time.

This works fine with a properly-configured G3X installation if you have a GDU 46x display.

Is that different from the way it's shown on the non-touch? It does look like it shows all of the bars on a GDU460 without having to go to the EIS page. I just want to have all of the bars, all of the time. (ATBATT, for you motorcyclists!)

Is that different from the way it's shown on the non-touch? It does look like it shows all of the bars on a GDU460 without having to go to the EIS page. I just want to have all of the bars, all of the time.

Yes, this is very normal for the EIS display on a GDU 460:

Attachments

• g3x1.jpg
    g3x1.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 80
Check in my signature. We have relatively inexpensive and powerful engine monitor solution.

Last edited:
Recent posts here have soured me on the Garmin EIS interface with the G3X, as I want to see all 4 bars for the EGT and CHT all the time. My Cessna has a JPI 730, which I like a lot, and which talks to that airplane’s GTN-650.

What about the Garmin engine monitor don’t you like? I’m not happy that they can’t show you a VFR sectional in a “Track up” orientation, but I thought I liked their engine monitor display..

EI

Just a short comment, support from EI is excellent, even on products that were Early production units.

Rob

Just a short comment, support from EI is excellent, even on products that were Early production units.

Rob

I agree. I recently bought an EI FT-60 and got bad advice from MGL about the wiring. Since it didn't sound right I emailed EI and their support is excellent. They gave me the correct information I needed and were very quick too.

Worth noting, we now offer an experimental version of the CGR-30P. If ordering through the larger dealers, a 4-cylinder package can typically be found for about $2000.00, complete with all the sensors and harnesses.

Yes, this is very normal for the EIS display on a GDU 460:

Stu,

I have a G3X touch. I don't know if the non-touch is the same or not. But with the latest software, you can configure the EIS almost any way you want.

If you "have" to have a separate engine monitor, I would consider the GI-275 EIS since you already have Garmin stuff. It is pricey, but it works exceptionally well. The gages appear small, but that's not the case at all when sitting in front of it.

Jerry

Worth noting, we now offer an experimental version of the CGR-30P. If ordering through the larger dealers, a 4-cylinder package can typically be found for about $2000.00, complete with all the sensors and harnesses.

Is there or will there be an experimenal version of the EDM-830?

Back