What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Waiting for Skyview? Getting an Autopilot? Read this.

Bill_H

Well Known Member
Patron
I am working on the fuselage and have all kits in hand except the Avionics - because I am "waiting for Skyview."

But I am at the point of wanting to install the autopilot servos while access is still easy.

You may know that the standard Dynon D180 has an AP control interface from the main unit, and the auxilary AP-74 control unit, while nice (and $450), is not essential. But it is essential if you are building the RV-12 as an E-LSA using the standard avionics package with autopilot option ($1950 total).

The Skyview is different in that the Dynon Skyview webpages do not even show the AP74 as an optional enhancement. So I had a discussion with Van's.

They told me to order the "RV-12 Autopilot Servo Kit" for $1615.

I received it today and it appears to include everything that the standard optional AP kit includes except the AP74 unit. It has the dual servos, 4 rod ends, more misc hardware (nuts, bolts, washers, electrical connectors, etc.) and the Section 44 instructions.

So now I can install the guts of the autopilot while still waiting to order the Avionics kit.

Bill H. N412BR reserved, wings and tail done (and painted), working on fuselage.

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe I misunderstood your post, but the Skyview uses the same AP74 as the D180 does. This quote from the Dynon site:

COMPATIBILITY: The existing Dynon servos used with the D10/D100 Series are be compatible with the SkyView System. There are seven wire leads on each Servo; five of them are used with the D10/D100 Series. SkyView will use all seven wires, with the extra two wires used to add a second network connection for redundancy.

My plan therefore was to put the servos in even if I have to wait for the Skyview.

For those buying the avionics kit last

For those buying the avionics kit last, do not put wires through the firewall yet. If you do, it will be necessary to remove them to get the GPS and XM antenna plugs through the grommet. Do not ask me how I know. :D
Joe

Misunderstanding?

Don,
That Dynon quote does not mention the AP74 which is mounted in the instrument panel and has buttons and a knob. If Bill_H is correct, the AP74 is not used with the Skyview. Your plan to put the servos in while it is easy is a good one. I had to do it the hard way after the fuselage was built.
Joe

Last edited:
My mistake, I thought the AP74 designation WAS the servos. Agreed, the skyview does NOT use the dash AP unit.

Don,
Your plan to put the servos in while it is easy is a good one. I had to do it the hard way after the fuselage was built.
Joe

Joe: how hard is the "hard way" and at what step in the fuselage instructions is there a "soft" way to put the servos?

If you're building one of the earlier kits than the AP servo brackets are not supplied with the fuselage kit. If this is the case you have a "hard" time. For an example of the work check Tony's site. If you have the brackets supplied with your fuselage kit it's easy to install the servo's. You can wait till the end. I also ordered the AP kit early but now my servo's are not ready for the Skyview system and they need new firmware (I have been told the upgrade is not possible with Skyview and the servo's need to be send back to Dynon).

Joe: how hard is the "hard way" and at what step in the fuselage instructions is there a "soft" way to put the servos?
Gagarin737 pretty much answered the question. The autopilot brackets were not available when I built my fuselage. After the plane was almost completed I had to work in an awkward position with a 90? drill adapter in tight spaces. Not fun.
Joe

Gagarin737 pretty much answered the question. The autopilot brackets were not available when I built my fuselage. After the plane was almost completed I had to work in an awkward position with a 90? drill adapter in tight spaces. Not fun.
Joe

Thanks Joe and Joeri, I am fortunate to have the autopilot brackets in the fuselage kit, should not have a hard time therefore, ... may be! :)

Timing Is (almost) Everything

I cannot believe my good fortune in coming across this thread today. I am currently deep into the wiring activities (Section 31) and have been fretting over whether to order the Autopilot Kit now or to "Wait For Skyview". The option of ordering the servo kit without the AP-74 is the perfect solution to my quandary. Thank You!!!

I love this place!

Jerry Gaulden
Kit #120221
Empennage Kit Complete
Wing Kit Complete
Fuselage Kit Complete
Finishing Kit Working

All.....am wondering if I should order the fuselage kit if my plan is to wait for Skyview avionics....aren't there some panel components in the fuselage kit that will change with the advent of the Skyview avionics suite??? Should I wait, or can I order and build the fuselage kit now????

All.....am wondering if I should order the fuselage kit if my plan is to wait for Skyview avionics....aren't there some panel components in the fuselage kit that will change with the advent of the Skyview avionics suite??? Should I wait, or can I order and build the fuselage kit now????

The panel sections are removable (the center section can be riveted or screws), so i would not worry about the panel set-up too much. With easy interchange panels, you can build the fuselage kit.

ALSO Does anyone know if the SKYVIEW option will/might have the 496 (or other GARMIN device) as well...I don't want to lose XM capabilities.

ALSO Does anyone know if the SKYVIEW option will/might have the 496 (or other GARMIN device) as well...I don't want to lose XM capabilities.
I pinged Vans the other day...could not get anything out of them (good OPSEC on their part). The reason given was that they are still working retrofit concerns for aircraft who have their panel in place but have not yet ordered avionics. The rationale is perfectly reasonable but part of me wants to suspect that with major new announcements coming from Garmin, they might somehow be related. In the meantime there is a lot to do before I am at the point of worrying about it.

Back