What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W408-1l/w409-1r

cjensen

Well Known Member
i finished fluting the wing ribs tonight, but didn't do the ribs that are under the wing joint strip (W408-1L and W409-1R). these are not pre-punched, so there's no reference to flute these. what have you all done? :confused:

Use the skin as a guide an mark the location of the holes. Then you will know where to flute.

I believe you're talking about the leading edge, yes? If you haven't assembled the leading edge yet, don't worry about it. It's the last thing (or mostly the last thing you're going to do, when putting the leading edge on for good because you want to keep that off for access to be able to buck inside there. Just take those two ribs and put them away for a bit.

Wait until the leading edge is on (or if you want, cleco it all together and put it on then go ahead), then tap it into place, and just make marks on the web of the rib corresponding to the holes in the skin. Then take it out, extend the line around the corner onto the flange and...voila...there's your rivet spot. Flute between the lines.

Piece of advice.... use that hand seamer and get those flanges 90 degrees to the Web. And get the Band-Aids ready. (g)

Chad,

With the ribs that are prepunched, the goal is to get the flanges at 90 degrees, then using the fluting pliers make the prepunched holes line up. i.e. you should be able to put a straight edge along the line of holes and have them all fall in a sraight line.

With the ribs that are not pre-punched, put the rib inside the skin and use your sharpie marker to mark the hole locations. Then, flute as before but aim to get the rib to sit flat on the table. You can also use the marks you made on the flange for an idea of how well you are doing by using the straight edge as before.

Also, when you get to drilling those ribs they are not easy. Make good and sure you mark the centeline exactly on the rib and do not loose sight of the line while you drill. I have an example here of how they come out if you are not too carefull....

Richard
(If only someone told me it was this easy before I started doing that!)

Last edited:
Thanks

Thanks Guys, I was wondering about that too. I had decided to wait until the skin went on, so it looks like I was on the right track. Thanks also for the advise/reminder about the rib centre line.

Just a piece of advise: I wouldn't wait until the LE skin is riveted on. The rib fit is very right (at least mine was) and the dimples in the skin will make it much more difficult to get the rib in there the final time. Just mark it, flute it and drill it the first time you cleco the LE skin on. You'll see several other places where this happens.

Good question Chad. I have been working my wing ribs and had the same question come up last night. Sure is nice to have this resource to refer to. I wonder if Van's has any idea how many calls they don't get because of these boards? ;)

JohnR said:
I wonder if Van's has any idea how many calls they don't get because of these boards? ;)
now THAT'S a good question too john!

thanks for the quick responses guys! i figured that was probably the way to go, but even if it seems obvious, it never hurts to ask. these wing ribs are time consumers! i've been working on them for the better part of two weeks (couple hours a night). i did use the hand seamer to make the flanges 90 to the web, but have noticed that several of them need some adjustment after fluting. they all sit nice and pretty now (except the two on the left, which are the one's in question).

3-21-06-006w.jpg

Back