What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W1212 Hinge Assemblies - Top Spread

Topturn

Great day working on priming the left wing skins and a few remaining parts and then I started building the wings and associated parts up. When I got to Page 14-02 I had a slight problem with the W1212 hinge assemblies and on both the tops spread when I riveted them up photo here

Clearly I'll have to rebuild them so any tips to stop this happening?

Hinges

Looking at your pic I would say you are squeezing the rivets to hard or to flat. This has caused the soft aluminum to bend out slightly. So long as your bearing is tight and spins freely I think you will be fine. John

RV12 N1212K

Before riveting, bend the sides slightly inward

I can not remember if the side plates of these bearing brackets are recessed or not. Van's had a quality control problem of not milling the recess deep enough. When riveted together, the bearing was squashed, preventing it from turning. Whenever assembling bearing brackets, measure with a micrometer to be sure there is enough room for the bearing. That may or may not be the issue in your situation.
Before riveting, bend the sides slightly inward towards the bearing. It is the same principle as breaking the edges of skin before riveting.
Joe

Side plates are recessed and I will take a look at these again tomorrow and maybe not squeeze the rivets quite so hard - I know one thing having drilled one of the A470 rivets out that ended up with a smiley face they are a pretty solid fit.

Decided to attempt the remedy for the spread tonight and Joe pleased to report your solution of bending slightly did the job and I now have 2 brackets I'm happy with.

Many thanks as always

Last edited:
A bit late but I initially had the same problem. With the new parts and c-clamps I was able to squeeze the rivets completely flush. I didn't give the ends a prebend.

14-02%20step%2010Z.JPG

Back