What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W & B

gh6gh6

I am considering using the Catto prop with a parrallel valve 180hp.
I need to figure out how heavy the crush plate and extension needs to be to bring the C of G ahead.
Does anyone know the arm (distance) of the prop flange for a parrallel valve engine?

The information

you are after might be sluthed from data in the Type certificate data sheet (TCDS) as found on the FAA website. The notes section shows stations and weights relitive to the prop flange.
Good luck
Andrew

My Experience

Ian,

My RV6 is setup with an O-360 and Catto 3-blade. I have a kelly starter, odesey battery on the firewall, oil cooler on the firewall.

I used the typical spool (I think it is machined aluminum) and crush plate. It is the stardard unit from saber. After it was all said and done, I wish for a bit more forward CG. I think my GW was right around 1000 and my cg limits my baggage to the typical vans number of 60 pounds. I will continue to search for ways to move the cg forward.

I seem to recall that the "heavy" steel versions of the crush plate and spool are sorta expensive. I may eventually put on the heave crush plate because it is cheaper of the two and easier to install, no need to take the prop or spool off.

A heaver, larger battery would have been a good idea.

Another important point here is that I can easily afford a few more pounds of empty weight in order to move the CG forward.

I need to figure out how heavy the crush plate and extension needs to be to bring the C of G ahead.
Does anyone know the arm (distance) of the prop flange for a parrallel valve engine?

I can measure it and get back to you later today, but there is no need to add weight in that area.

Weight and balance is just dandy as is. I will send the numbers if you wish to see them.

49clipper

David,
You are fairly close to where I live. I have a -6 with the O-320/Sensenich combo and have a slightly unusual situtation (at least in my mind). I would like to ask where you trim tab is in normal cruise flight. Mine is "up" at almost the limit. W&B is 70.70" ewcg and 1166#. Flys alright but bugs me that the trim tab is so deflected. I talked to Scott at Vans and he said no problem, but looks very odd to me. Everyone else I talk to "says" there tab is neutral in flight, but most had electric trim with indicator so they really did not know. Just wondering if you know where your tab is in cruise.
Jim

Get a Landoll Harmonic Balancer to bring your CG forward and add mass to the prop to smooth and slow the idle. Works for me.

Glenn Wilkinson

David,
You are fairly close to where I live. I have a -6 with the O-320/Sensenich combo and have a slightly unusual situtation (at least in my mind). I would like to ask where you trim tab is in normal cruise flight. Mine is "up" at almost the limit. W&B is 70.70" ewcg and 1166#. Flys alright but bugs me that the trim tab is so deflected. I talked to Scott at Vans and he said no problem, but looks very odd to me. Everyone else I talk to "says" there tab is neutral in flight, but most had electric trim with indicator so they really did not know. Just wondering if you know where your tab is in cruise.
Jim

I have a trim tab indicator but have never looked at it much except for where I want it for take off. Next time the machine is up I will note the position or land with it unmoved and report back.

Ian, we were tied up all day so I did not have a chance to measure the location of the prop extension but will get to it in the morning.

Ian,

The approximate center of the 2.25" extension is 46.5" forward of wing leading edge. The wing is at 70" aft of datum so that puts the extension center at 23.5" aft of datum.

David,
Jim

Jim,

I made a short flight today and noted the trim indicator at 140KIAS.

After landing I reset it to that indication and measured the deflection. Relative to the elevator it is up 6 degrees. The setting for take off is 3 degrees down.

David,
Jim

It is also not much help to say that your trim tab is close to the up travel limit because not everyone's are set up the same. What would be better, is an estimate of how much the elevator counter balance arm is displaced above the horizontal stabilizer during level cruise flight.

49clipper

Scott,
I measured my trim tab again yesterday and just saw your response. My trim tab is up 29.5 degrees in normal cruise with CG within limits and about 1478#. I tried increasing the incidence to 1.7 degrees and it did not help much. At that position the trim tab was up 22 degrees in normal cruise (180 mph).

Talked to Scott at Vans again and he states both Vans -7A and -6 have about the same setting, in other words quite a bit "up" in cruise. I have decided to just live with it, even though I can find no one with the same situation. I still have just a slight bit up nose up trim left at that speed.
Jim

What would be the complications of using a 0-320 engine mount with a 0-360?
I know the location of the intake would need to be moved 2" forward on the cowling,perhaps an injected cowl with a intake glassed in the right location.
I hate the idea of adding weight that gets a free ride. Its not just the lost
baggage capacity ,its the pitch sensitivity aft cg brings. Any thoughts on if
this is a workable solution?

Back