What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W&B average data, real world capacity for pilot/passenger?

Blw2

Well Known Member
Wondering, is there a database or list of actual W&B numbers for as built RV aircraft floating around on VAF?
or maybe better still a plug and play W&B calculator to go with it?

Just got to thinking this morning, wondering how comfortable my wife and I would even fit. Combined weight of the two of us really isn't all that much by average american standards so I'm not too concerned, but it was still a thought I had while walking the dog.... something to consider before getting too far down the path..... I'm not even sure of her weight...guessing the combined total is ballpark 400#

I'm wondering what the real world numbers work out to on average for load carrying capacities and more importantly balance. Obviously dry weight numbers will vary so just trying to get a rough idea of an average build.

I'm mostly interested in RV-14/14A, RV-9/9A, RV-12is
and my scenario would be a cross county vacation for a long weekend or even a couple weeks
  • full fuel
  • + usual stuff most folks keep stashed aboard, such as extra oil, maybe tie down ropes, a few tools, safety kit, etc...
  • + baggage for two, just normal stuff nothing exotic or special....airlines limit carry-ons to about 20# per person so 40-50# luggage is probably a good ballpark
...but then I wonder, what if we added something more.... a couple electric scooters for example?

Vans

Check out the airplane brochures on the vans website. The numbers are going to be in the ballpark but I would assume your empty weight to be a bit heavier than vans says.

Using vans numbers with full fuel, you are looking at a payload of around 510 for the -14, 463 for the -9, and 418 for the -7.

As far as a W&B calculator, I'm sure someone will share their spreadsheet here for you to look at. I have a -10, so it wouldn't do any good unless you were looking at a -10.

Check out the airplane brochures on the vans website. The numbers are going to be in the ballpark but I would assume your empty weight to be a bit heavier than vans says.

Using vans numbers with full fuel, you are looking at a payload of around 510 for the -14, 463 for the -9, and 418 for the -7.

As far as a W&B calculator, I'm sure someone will share their spreadsheet here for you to look at. I have a -10, so it wouldn't do any good unless you were looking at a -10.

Thanks
yeah, I have kids and would love the utility of a 4-seater
and I prefer the door configuration over the canopies (I think)
but if I'm honest, especially thinking longer term by the time I'd get something flying, a 2-seater probably fits my mission + it's more economical, etc...

on another note, I was just thinking about another scenario where we would have more stuff in baggage, and that's bringing along camping gear. I can fully see doing that a bit, although that might just as often be me solo

Thanks
yeah, I have kids and would love the utility of a 4-seater
and I prefer the door configuration over the canopies (I think)
but if I'm honest, especially thinking longer term by the time I'd get something flying, a 2-seater probably fits my mission more often + it's more economical, etc...

on another note, I was just thinking about another scenario where we would have more stuff in baggage, and that's bringing along camping gear. I can fully see doing that a bit, although that might just as often be me solo

I found some sample W&B calculators online (don't recall where) and used those along with published data from Vans to build my own RV-14A W&B calculator. I spent a lot of time running through various scenarios to see what it would take to exceed CG limits and it's not easy to do in the -14 (which is good!).

Of course, I'll need to update mine with actual data once my -14 is finished but having my own calculator helped me decide to go with ER tanks. I'd recommend making your own calculator so you understand how it works and then you can see which Vans model best suits your needs.

Here are a couple examples of mine. I'm not sure if it's correct yet so DO NOT rely on mine for accuracy!!! But, you could use it for a starting point of how the data is laid out.

Please note: I entered 150lbs in the baggage compartment in the second example just so the calculator would display the message that it's out of CG. The baggage compartment is limited to 100lbs in the RV-14.

Attachments

• CG OK.png
    CG OK.png
    175.3 KB · Views: 90
  • CG bad.png
    CG bad.png
    184.8 KB · Views: 73
Last edited:
Wondering, is there a database or list of actual W&B numbers for as built RV aircraft floating around on VAF?

Just got to thinking this morning, wondering how comfortable my wife and I would even fit. Combined weight of the two of us really isn't all that much by average american standards so I'm not too concerned, but it was still a thought I had while walking the dog.... something to consider before getting too far down the path..... I'm not even sure of her weight...guessing the combined total is ballpark 400#

I'm wondering what the real world numbers work out to on average for load carrying capacities and more importantly balance. Obviously dry weight numbers will vary so just trying to get a rough idea of an average build.

and my scenario would be a cross county vacation for a long weekend or even a couple weeks
  • full fuel
  • + usual stuff most folks keep stashed aboard, such as extra oil, maybe tie down ropes, a few tools, safety kit, etc...
  • + baggage for two, just normal stuff nothing exotic or special....airlines limit carry-ons to about 20# per person so 40-50# luggage is probably a good ballpark
...but then I wonder, what if we added something more.... a couple electric scooters for example?

Want to know how I know you're a wise man with a long life ahead of him? This right here.

Keep in mind that most new builds come in heavier than Van's empty weights. Paint, full avionics and interiors, and a few options add up quickly. Van's weights will be close to best case.

Brian, your second W&B shows 200# of baggage. 14’s max at 100#.

If I take my wife traveling, for a weekend, or a week, we will have 100# of baggage in my 6, guaranteed.
So, assume you will have max baggage in your calculations, 100#, and full fuel for your gross.
The 14 was designed for larger pilots and passengers, but it won’t carry more baggage than the other side by sides unless they bump into gross weight issues.

Hauling people and bags

If you go with a 9, your problem is likely going to be weight instead of balance.

You'll want the lightest one you can find. In my -9A, which is on the heavy side (although I've seen heavier!), 400 pounds of passengers and full fuel would almost exactly hit the max of 1750, assuming I'm doing the math right. But you'd still be well within the CG. It's pretty hard to get a -9A out of CG.

Our passenger load is more like 320 when the two of us fly--another reason to love being short--but I don't think I could get both of us and two electric scooters onboard, especially with any other real luggage. Space constraints, the max gross, and the 100-pound baggage area limitation would all conspire to make that pretty hard to do.

Would love to know if anyone has found two scooters that will fit easily into a -9 baggage compartment.

• full fuel

Gross in Rv-9

• full fuel

If I was fully loaded, 100# of baggage, full fuel,… I have 350# remaining for pilot and crew. We camp often out of the 9A. I find you run out of space before you run out of weight for camping.

My local flying kit (qt oil, basic tools, main tube, spare plug,…) runs just under 10#. My extended kit adds another 16# with the tie downs, lightweight cover,….

To the OP: Ask around. I think you’ll find that those owners who have ‘too much’ airplane 80% of the time (when they’re paying a little more per hour) are happier than those who have ‘too little’ airplane 20% of the time (when they have to rent something bigger). Add in the kids, the dog (you’ll take the dog camping, right?), scooters, ….. I think you want a -10.
Of course I’m biased, but I know that was the right choice for me (and my wife).

Yup

400 lbs of people, then bags, camping gear, and scooters definitely seems like -10 territory.

To the OP: Ask around. I think you’ll find that those owners who have ‘too much’ airplane 80% of the time (when they’re paying a little more per hour) are happier than those who have ‘too little’ airplane 20% of the time (when they have to rent something bigger). Add in the kids, the dog (you’ll take the dog camping, right?), scooters, ….. I think you want a -10.
Of course I’m biased, but I know that was the right choice for me (and my wife).

yeah I get that.... didn't mean it would be both of us + bags + scooters + camping gear....
the original question was baggage only

then I was just expanding that I can imagine it being nice to carry something a little more...such as little scooters occasionally...but the mission so to speak is baggage

and my camping gear is pretty much ultralight backpacking stuff (one of my tents weighs something like 18.5 oz), so me going most likely solo to Oshkosh should be no problem ;)

My -9A has a useful load of 585 lbs, or 359 lbs with full fuel. My wife and I (180/120) can take about 60 lbs of luggage with full fuel. Would still within the WB envelope, right at the upper right hand corner.

I have a Segway Ninebot scooter. Great scooter but it will barely fit in my baggage compartment and no way a second one is going in there. And loading it would be very difficult without a Supertrax canopy extension.

Last edited:
+1

Keep in mind that most new builds come in heavier than Van's empty weights. Paint, full avionics and interiors, and a few options add up quickly. Van's weights will be close to best case.

Seems most builds are in the +50 to +70 lbs of Vans numbers. Maybe the pri*** did it.........

The RV-6A comes in (using VA numbers) at 437 available pounds w/full fuel. So actually better than the 7 number noted above.

For another actual data point my -6A (o-320, composite prop) is 64 pounds heavier than the factory number. OK, I know where maybe 10 pounds of that is... I've got dual com radios, rather heavy strobe pack... Perhaps the slider is a bit heavier than the tip-up?

Back