What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

W-916 Position

spdenmark

I'm New Here
Trying to figure out how to position the W-916 rib. The instructions say to insert in the wing tip, position and mark. Is there a reference position fore and aft? Can't find on drawings...but may be missing. Thanks

Welcome to VAF SDenmark!

I did mine couple three years ago and remember that they said to delay fitting wingtips as late as possible. I fitted my wingtips during my initial rigging for angle of incidence.

There is no fixed reference to where W-916 is going. It has to be determined by the builder. After you align your aileron with the tool you may fit the tip. There is a procedure written in manual somewhere.

linedup.jpg

After everything lined up and tip is match drilled to wing skin, you insert the 916 rib to fit and match drill the rib to the tip from inside. W-916 has to be fully prepped with all holes drilled.

916.jpg

Take your time on this and do not rush. You may need an assistant not necessarily an RV Buckmaster but somebody who understands plain English:)
On my finished tips the positions of 916-L and R differ about 1/4 inch. Remember you still have 931 riblets. To keep the shape of the tips their positions are unique also.

That's all I can remember I am sure somebody with recent experience will post soon.

Last edited:
Back