What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS Rear Spar - "extra" hole?

Flying Scotsman

Well Known Member
I don't have my plans with me here at work, just wondering if y'all have an answer here or if I should call Van's later today...

Finishing up the VS, on the rear spar about 1/3 of the way up, on the plans are two holes (just above the portion that is flush-riveted w/ flush side forward) that are marked "Drilled in Assembly with Fuselage" or some such thing.

Hmmm...my VS rear spar has ONE hole in that location. What's up with that? :)

I 'spect that it's no biggie, that during assembly with the fuselage it will all work out fine, and of course I didn't do anything with that hole (no rivet or anything). Just trying to sort it all out...ideas? Seen this before?

AND...sent the check off today for the wings! Wooohooo!

Steve,

Anytime you see the phrase "drill in assembly," take heed. That means the noted holes are to be drilled later....when that particular subassembly is mated whatever it is to be mated to. If memory serves, a few holes in the lower VS will tie into the rear elevator stop. This is done when your fuselage is in an advanced stage of assembly. In short, drilling in assembly assures a quality hole through all the parts you are drilling through.

For now though, you've got bigger fish to fry...congratulations on the just ordered wing kit!

Rick6a said:
Steve,

Anytime you see the phrase "drill in assembly," take heed. That means the noted holes are to be drilled later....when that particular subassembly is mated whatever it is to be mated to. If memory serves, a few holes in the lower VS will tie into the rear elevator stop. This is done when your fuselage is in an advanced stage of assembly. In short, drilling in assembly assures a quality hole through all the parts you are drilling through.

Yep, I know that...I was just wondering why the plans show TWO holes and the actual parts have ONE.

For now though, you've got bigger fish to fry...congratulations on the just ordered wing kit![/QUOTE]

Thanks! I'm more motivated than ever to finish the empennage (gotta remember to TAKE MY TIME and get things perfect!).

The question I have -- and I don't have the VS here at home -- isn't why aren't there two holes, it's why is there one? The plans for the elevator stop have specific locations for the holes and it suggests that the holes in the VS spar are drilled using the elevator stop as a guide, not the other way around.

I'm going to have to look at the plans closely. It's not like one of the two holes didn't get drilled. There's only one hole, centered laterally on the spar and the stiffener.

I'll try and post a pic tomorrow.

Flying Scotsman said:
I'm going to have to look at the plans closely. It's not like one of the two holes didn't get drilled. There's only one hole, centered laterally on the spar and the stiffener....
Is this what you are referring too? If memory serves, the center hole in the VS is used to reference the up/down location of the VS relative to its mating with the fuselage.

engine05014bb6.jpg
engine05214nv7.jpg

Must be a recent addition (well, OK, recent since 2001). If I'd had a reference hole there, I wouldn't have to have fretted over that 11-and-whatever-inch callout for the distance of the fuse skin to the base of the spar. Makes perfect sense.

Rick6a said:
Is this what you are referring too? If memory serves, the center hole in the VS is used to reference the up/down location of the VS relative to its mating with the fuselage.

engine05014bb6.jpg
engine05214nv7.jpg

That's it! Now I think I remember that measurement on the -8, and I can see why the hole is there. It just threw me off because there is only one. I looked at the plans and it should be no big deal to drill them once the stop is in place. Whew! Just being overly cautious, I guess...

Thanks, guys!

Back