What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS / HS not 90 deg

[email protected]

Well Known Member
I just finished the directions for mounting the HS and VS on the tailcone. AFTER I finished match drilling everything and mounting, I put my crosshair laser level to it. if the HS is perfectly horizontal, then the laser lines up with the bottom hinge the laser is about 3/8ths of an inch to the right of center on the top hinge. Unfortunately I did not check this until AFTER I match drilled them all. Do I need to do anything about this? The directions does not have anything about aligning them to exact 90 deg.

Tried searching for this, but the search said it would not search for VS or HS as it is too short.

Now people will say oh your the guy with VS and HS that aren't 90 degrees I heard about you. :D

Actually I have no idea whether this matters or not I just thought it was funny that "Now everyone knows".

Bill,
Do yourself a favor and chuck that laser into the back of your tool box until you start working on the landing gear/wheel pants. Trust Van's here. If the parts line up per the plans, you're golden. Otherwise you are going to give yourself an ulcer.

I was not too worried about it, but thought I would check since the plans did not mention to check on square at all before drilling. I had already decided to move on and unbolted it last night. Figured if something needed to be done I could do it during final assembly, as I am just working through the tail assembly now because my wings don't arrive until next week and need to do something in the shop.

Standard Answer!

Any time you are asked a question about why your airplane is a certain way, your answer should be....

You mean yours isn't that way? Where do you think you went wrong?

Back