What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS-705 holes wont line up with skin - Flange bend problem?

haydnc

I'm trying to get the VS skin clecoed on so i can match drill.

When I fit the VS-705 nose rib the pre punched holes in the skin do not match up (only half the hole is visable).

I can fit the VS-705 first, but then the VS-704 root rib holes do not line up.

I have tried cleco'ing the skin in a different order but still the same problem. I have a feeling that the aft flange on the VS-705 has been bent incorrectly. Here is a photo:

IMGP2153.JPG

Although blury, you'll notice the aft flang (on the right) bend is further outboard then the upper and lower flange. I think this may prevent VS-705 from being in the slightly lower position it should be.

Has anyone else had this problem?

Last edited:
ribs... square and flute as needed

for ribs you need to square the flanges and flute as needed. you will do this quite a bit on the wings... for ribs that have any curve to them there will be notable part deformation from production that will need to be relieved by fluting to bring the plane of the rib straight. vs705 is a nose rib and i suspect that you are a bit hesitant in forcing alignment... sight down the pre-punched line on the rib with your eye and look to see if the line is true or if it curves off a bit; the goal of fluting is to return the rivet line to true making the part straight.

Thanks, I dont think it's a fluting issue, the holes are centred correctly and fit properly if i remove the VS-704 reb from the other side of the front spar. VS-705 is bascially to long to fit in the gap! I'll email vans about it. They'll be sick of me soon!

for ribs you need to square the flanges and flute as needed. you will do this quite a bit on the wings... for ribs that have any curve to them there will be notable part deformation from production that will need to be relieved by fluting to bring the plane of the rib straight. vs705 is a nose rib and i suspect that you are a bit hesitant in forcing alignment... sight down the pre-punched line on the rib with your eye and look to see if the line is true or if it curves off a bit; the goal of fluting is to return the rivet line to true making the part straight.

But I am still a bit puzzled, are we the only ones that found this? Or
other builders just riveted the rib a bit twisted?

Interesting, I have just put VS-705 flange down on the table and the aft flange is noticeably shorter then the upper and lower flanges.

Oh well, I?ll wait in line for a response from Vans.

Vans had a look at it and found no problems. I had a look at the photo's they sent back and they hadn't clecoed the rear spar on.

I then put it all back together and clecoed the rear VS spar last. I also made sure all the rib flanges were square with the spar not the rib.

Its pretty close to fitting now, just a few holes that are pretty close to lining up. I'm just going to trick up the flutes between a few holes and it should be perfect.

Back