What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS-1202/VS-1208 holes

Kitfoxpilot

I'm New Here
I am a new builder located in Seattle. I just started my empanage kit. I have been following this forum since last fall (2008). I just closed out the vertical stabilizer. I have a small issue that I believe has been discussed, but I cannot find the thread now.

When I was riveting the VS-1208 lower main rib to the VS-1202 front spar I noticed a pair of holes in the flanges that did not line up. Later when riveting the VS-1201 main skin I faced these same two holes. The main skin holes match the holes in the front spar; it is the little tab of rib flange that is a half a hole off.

I could probably force the rib flange over to match, but that would distort the rib, and seems put stress on that part. I recall it seems like the solution discussed here earlier involved match drilling through front spar and lower rib. This would result in an elongated hole in the rib tab with the main skin and spar holes in alignment. Any help on this would be appreciated.

Larry

Welcome --

Hi Larry,
I was where you are a few weeks ago and remember some misalignment of that short tab hole. After clecoing about every hole in the VS assembly to the skin to make sure of alignment, I was able to get a rivet in. Maybe someone else will come in to help you on this.
I don't remember a thread on this particular problem in the forum, there was another issue with regard to final drilling the the 3/16 holes #12 on the VS-1202 Front Spar, but your plans should show that revision.

Tony

Larry,

I don't remember having a problem in this area. There were few of those holes where there are three thicknesses of metal where it took a little extra "persuasion" with my handy/dandy ice pick to line things up, but I never had to use a drill. Suggest you only use the drill as a last resort.

VS-1202/VS1208 holes

Thanks guys. I finished closing out the vertical last night. It really did not take much extra persuasion to install these last two rivets. The mis-alignment was really pretty minimal. I made sure I deburred the adjacent radius thoroughly to alleviate any possible stress problems.

Larry

Holes not lined up

I had the same problem. I forced the two flange tabs into alignment with a drift pin, then held the tabs in place with vise grips while riveting. The tab is definitely pulled down somewhere between 1/32" & 1/16". I think that those two holes were punched in the wrong location. Which is worse, match drilling that results in elongated holes, or deforming the rib to get the holes to line up?
Joe

Back