What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VS-1009 Vert Stab Tip Fairing too short?

RudiGreyling

Well Known Member
RVators,

Just tried to fit the Vert Stab Tip fairing, but it looks like it was supplied cut to short, I have 1/2" gap between it and the rudder and I havent touched the rear yet.

Anyone else see this?

Rudi

Last edited:
From what I remember I had alot of work to do on that fairing, it seemed to be warped of to one side quite a bit. I built up the right trailing edge of the fairing about a 1/2". As far as where it butts against the rudder there was a pretty good gap. As long as it fits nicely against the trailing edge of the VS with no visible distortion you should be good but with all the chemicals being inhaled lately my memory could be shot.:D

Steve Stella
#40654 Wings
N521RV reserved

Yep, without a doubt the worst fit of my Emp fairings. Mine did not fit well fore or aft so I sanded off gel coat and built up the leading edge to match the VS and the aft end after I closed it off. My rudder, HS, and elevator fairings fit like gloves in comparison.

I got hold of a fellow builder that ordered the same time I did, and YES his tip fairing is also too short. Will see what vans says, I am not keen to build it up.

Last edited:
Another one

Rudi

Mine was also short. Maybe 1/4 inch or so.

|The emp kit was shipped in march 09

Peter

Vans came back and said, yip they are too short, they are following up with supplier, but we that have the short ones need to fix it ourselves since there is fiberglass work in that area in any case. They suggest to make the foam rib and position it at the right place to account for the shortness and then glass everything, extending it and closing it off at the same time.

The only problem I see is the transition where you extend it now, it means more fiberglass work to smooth the sides out, Argh Arhhh :mad:

Rudi

Back