What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X terminal removal?

Stewie

Well Known Member
Patron
HI all-
I am having great difficulty removing a power connector terminal with the pin removal tool in my VP-X. I have followed the directions of Connector Service Manual Rev C p. 30 and confirmed orientation of the wire, white insert position etc. I was able to remove a ground wire while fiddling/experimenting - it came out like there was nothing to it, but I was unable to repeat my success with either that wire or the particular one I want out, despite wasting 2 hours on the task. Any suggestions? This is extremely frustrating and hardly seems befitting of the quality of the rest of the wiring kit...
I've posted on the VP-X forums and will update this thread if I find out more.
Eric

Hmm, the only problem I had was with the tool itself. My fingers/hand weren't tough enough to push it in sometimes. I had to use a screwdriver handle or something to get enough force to pop the terminal out. It would be nice to have a handle on it, but for the extra cost, it really isn't a big deal.

Putting the terminals in is another story. I found you have to get them aligned just about perfect to get them to catch and stay seated.

The only thing I can recommend is to play with a terminal before it's seated to see where the removal tool makes contact with the terminal to ensure you doing it the same way. It's a pretty intuitive process. Since the terminals won't seat if you put them in wrong, I'm pretty much at a loss to assist you on this.

Are the VP-X terminals different from the VP-100/200 terminals?

If they are the same, they were always very easy for me:

1) pop the shell up (unlock the pins) with a small flat head screwdriver
2) insert extraction pin into the face of the connector, for the pin you want released, push until its most of the way in (should feel the retaining clip depress)
3) pull the wire out from the back

If you aren't using an official extraction pin, it won't work very well.

Follow up/ solution

Guys-
Thanks for your input. After having an electronics guru neighbor come over and pop the thing out in 10 seconds, and speaking with Marc at VP, here is what to do:
1. Try rounding the head of the tool to a more bullet shape. After inserting, maintain tension on the wire while wiggling the pin side to side. Per the manual, not too much lateral force but a bit of wiggling does the trick. I wrapped a band of duct tape around the middle of the tool to use as a handle.
2. Marc suggested if all else fails to remove the white face by slipping a narrow flat tool into the two slots on the short side of the facing. By pushing out, you should be able to remove the white face without damaging the unit (this goes against the manual instructions, but Mark said it is OK as long as you don't break the plastic. He stressed you need to be pretty careful doing this.) Then you can remove the terminal manually.

Marc at VP was very helpful and took the time to patiently answer some of my other VP-X questions. Other than this snafu, I am very satisfied with the VP-X so far as well as excellent customer service.
Eric

Last edited:
Back