What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VP-X Pro Configuration Feedback Please

You'll want to think through your switch assignments -- you have many devices assigned to "always off." (This can of course always be changed later. For instance, I have my EFIS on the Avionics Master switch, and later decided I wanted it to come on with the master, for startup...took 2 minutes to reconfigure in the software.)

There's no real need to take up two power pins by splitting the NS90's and Suntail on separate circuits. What you may want to do, though, is to combine the Nav leads from all 3 AeroLED's into one power pin, and the Strobe leads from the 3 into another power pin, so you can switch them separately (to turn off the strobes on the ramp or in IMC).

Good call putting the taxi & landing lights on opposite busses.

It's a great system, easy to configure and update. I have the VP-X Pro, and the AeroLED's, and completely satisfied with both.

Thanks Joshua,

I saw the installation instructions in Section 5.28 for wiring 2 or 3 lights into a single power pin. Then in Section 4.9 it says each light must be wired to a separate pin if you want to Wig-Wag them. That's what I was thinking when I put them on separate pins.

I like being able to turn the strobes off independent of the position lights.

Also wasn't sure about always on/off and need to read more about it.

"Always On" and "Always Off" are really something closer to "initially on" and "initially off". You can still turn a device off via your EFIS even if it's set to "Always On", and likewise, an "Always Off" device can be turned on via the EFIS. Those two settings just mean the device is not assigned to one of the physical switch-inputs.

--
Stephen

Last edited:
The Landing lights and Wig Wag Function are all internal, mine are wired to one pin and with a few clicks in the software they wig wag. Also both nav lights are one one pin and all 3 strobes are on one pin. The system is simply amazing, it makes everything very easy and gives you a ton of versatility, I love it!

Sounds like you're on the right track with the nav/strobes -- wire all 3 nav leads to one pin, all 3 strobe to the other pin for separate control. The sync wires from the NS90's and Suntail just connect to each other (I put mine on a terminal block under the pilot seat). You won't want either of those involved in the wig-wag logic.

For the landing/taxi lights, I think you have two options -- you can use the wigwag function built into the SunRays (in which case, you could connect both to a single power pin), or wire them to separate pins as you have planned, and use the wig-wag in the VP-X (in which case, leave the wig-wag leads on the SunRays unterminated).
I'd lean toward using the wig-wag in the VP-X, since it is programmable, and automatically enables/disables based on your airspeed. I've developed the habit of flipping my landing/taxi lights on when I make my first traffic call approaching the airport -- I'm fast enough there that they wig-wag for recognition. Then when I slow down on final, they turn steady before I get to the runway, no switch-flipping required.

Servo question

Larry, I am configuring my VPX-pro and have nearly identical radios etc as you. However, I am using only one D-1000 yet have a higher total current draw than your configuration. When I compare line by line, the difference seems to be that I included 2 Dynon servos controlled by the Skyview. I assume you are using the Dynon autopilot. My question is should the 2 servos be listed and power supplied thru the VPX?

Larry, I am configuring my VPX-pro and have nearly identical radios etc as you. However, I am using only one D-1000 yet have a higher total current draw than your configuration. When I compare line by line, the difference seems to be that I included 2 Dynon servos controlled by the Skyview. I assume you are using the Dynon autopilot. My question is should the 2 servos be listed and power supplied thru the VPX?

Yes. Each servo gets its own power pin from the vpx.

Larry, your new plan is very similar to what I have configured. I'm about 3 amps higher in total, but I'm using 75 watt landing & taxi lights, and unheated pitot. I'll probably send my config to Vertical Power for a review before I start cutting & crimping. Your config looks good to me, but then I'm just getting into this electrical stuff.

Have a good build day!

I have on my VP-X sport a single circuit for powering both the AP servos. I don't see any advantage in having pitch and roll on different circuits. I have them set to one of the switches in case I ever need to disable them in flight. The servos need to be on when the Skyview is powered up, so you could have them switched via the Avionics switch, but to disable them and leave the primary EFIS on would require lots of menus and button pushing on the Skyview VP-X page.

Larry,
Were you planning on using any of the current fault detection circuits?

Yes and updated. Thanks for the catch. Wasn't too sure about the led lights, though. Manual says do NOT enable for low draw LEDs. Guess I'll try and see if they nuisance trip.

Yes and updated. Thanks for the catch. Wasn't too sure about the led lights, though. Manual says do NOT enable for low draw LEDs. Guess I'll try and see if they nuisance trip.

Exactly right. Current Fault Detection is just a setting in the Configurator, so it can be easily enabled once you have everything wired up, and then just as easily disabled if it turns out the particular LED's you picked aren't drawing enough for the VP-X to detect (about 100mA).

--
Stephen

I have on my VP-X sport a single circuit for powering both the AP servos..

Bruce, when you run both servos on the same circuit, what amp did you set the circuit breaker for?

Larry, on the Garmin 430, why is the com side set for 10 amps (estimated actual draw 1.5a), while the nav side is set at 5 amps (estimated actual draw 2.2a)?

Thanks--

Steve

Larry, on the Garmin 430, why is the com side set for 10 amps (estimated actual draw 1.5a), while the nav side is set at 5 amps (estimated actual draw 2.2a)?Thanks--Steve

Steve,
The 10A and 5A setting was the default when I specifically added the 430 in the online planning tool. I just test added another 430 to verify.

I've got the 430 Installation Manual in front of me and see that the "COM Connector" draws "6.0A @ 14VDC (transmit)" and the "Main Connector" draws "2.5A @ 14VDC (maximum)".

Not sure if I want to take the circuit breaker value to less than what Vertical Power suggests.

Also, I've got the latest revision of the GNS 400W Series Installation Manual (Aug 2012 Rev. G) if you need a copy. It's the revision that includes the update to ADS-B. I'll be taking the 430W to our local avionics shop for that firmware update soon.

Thanks,

Larry, after your post, I decided to leave the 430 settings as the VPX configured them. Folks at Vertical Power seem to know these things-thus the default when a 430 is entered. I also agree with Bruce that the servos should come off the same pin. In looking at the Dynon servo wiring, it shows a common power feed to both servos with a disconnect (breaker or switch) between the power source (in our case the VPX) and the servos. I can't see having two separate power feeds and two separate switches (although I suppose you could use one DPDT switch).

Steve

I can't see having two separate power feeds and two separate switches (although I suppose you could use one DPDT switch).

I'm just learning the VP-X/Skyview/Autopilot thing and avionics wiring in general but I don't see a downside to separate power feeds to each servo other than running out of feeds from the VP-X. That way, if one servo is inop or I need to troubleshoot, I could still run the other. I also don't see the need for a dedicated physical switch for servo power. I can use the software plus I'll already have a button for autopilot disconnect. Help me out if I'm missing something. I don't care about being right, I only want to get it right.

I don't care about being right, I only want to get it right.

Larry, I agree completely. Hopefully some of the builders already flying with this system can weigh in and give some guidance based on actual experience. Like you, I'm just learning the VPX/Skyview--this wiring stuff is a new area for me--I welcome all the help I can get!

Let's get em flyin!

Steve

i miss

...Spoke. either way will work...

Marc Ausman
Vertical Power

One of the SkyView EFIS must be assigned to J12-9 which is a 5A pin. It usually draws about 3.5. Each EFIS has its own power pin.

The servos can be ganged onto their own pin separately from the EFIS. Or if you have extra pins you can put each servo on its own power pin. Same as you'd do with fuses or breakers.

Each light must be on its own pin.

Remember, the breaker protects the wire and must be sized accordingly. The VP Install manual has sizing recommendations.

Back