What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VOR/LOC/GS antenna

HSANTIBANEZ

Well Known Member
Dear everybody y see VOR LOC GS V antennas in bellys and up in vertical stabilizator, who is the best instalation place?

Regards

I am installing my nav antenna in the wing tip, using the Bob Archer antenna. The overall best location is probably in the top of the vert stab.

Avoid the cat's whisker antenna.

On a TD RV, the antenna will poke someone in the eyes sooner or later, mounted on the fin....plus it's ugly and draggy.

I have the Archer antenna in my wingtip and its reception is as good as the cat's whisker mounted under my rear tailcone. (The previous builder put it there).

Best,

Mine is on the top of the vertical stabilizer

I was able to mount the central disk of my antenna with some additional structure on top of the top rib and enclose most of it with the fiberglass cap for drag reduction and appearance.

The elements of my antenna screw into the central disk and I remove them for racing because there is some small amount of drag but the drag is so small that I have been unable to measure a difference in speed using my test method.

When I was building the plane (RV-6A) I called a manufacturer of wing tip antennas and talked to the owner about it. He told me the antennas are designed for sport applications and they work well but if you intend to fly hard IFR you should install a normal external navigation antenna.

I use my antenna with one common splitter and one special splitter for the SL-30 and the Terra Navigation radios. Both of these radios have VOR/LOC/GS with appropriate display units. I do fly in IMC and both systems are consistent and the range is good.

This is simply my decision and my experience, nothing more.

Bob Axsom

On a TD RV, the antenna will poke someone in the eyes sooner or later, mounted on the fin....plus it's ugly and draggy.

I have the Archer antenna in my wingtip and its reception is as good as the cat's whisker mounted under my rear tailcone. (The previous builder put it there).

Best,

If you're 90 degrees off from a VOR (say right wing tip on, the ant is in the left) do you see any degrade in performance?

I was planning on mounting cat's whiskers just forward of the tail wheel. I'd rather have the reliability and lose 1/2 knot unless someone convinces me otherwise.

That's my location.

I was planning on mounting cat's whiskers just forward of the tail wheel. I'd rather have the reliability and lose 1/2 knot unless someone convinces me otherwise.

That's where mine is installed. Works out well there.

GTS 800

What about the GTS 800 antenna that is a directional reciever? ( this is also an 800mm, 3.15inch base ) I wanted to put it atop the tail but I think its going to be a bit big.

Does anyone have a good spot for that?

Does anyone have two antennas in either wingtip so that it doesn't matter where your facing?

Back