What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VOR/GS/LOC antenna on VS tip

Seansull

I am looking for some photo documentation on how the small minority of RV-10 builders out there installed their cat whisker VOR/GS/LOC antenna on top of the VS.

I have found a few random photos from airshows and can tell that it has been done, and appears to be done well from a distance. There are a couple of threads on this site with build photos from smaller RV's that have been helpful. I am trying to locate the puck with minimal/no protrustion through the tip sides.

One photo in particular had the traling antenna arms below the travel of the rudder. Of course, I am trying to retrofit a completed tail so it may prove to be futile without major disassembly.

Any information is greatly appreciated as always.

Thanks in advance!

I hope this link to my KitLog Pro Log works; I'm not sure how their PHP is set up. If it doesn't, try going to kitlog on the web, search for Patrick Kelley and view the RV-10 project. You want the 9-21-20011 entry to start and the next one, 9-23-2011, to see how I fitted the antenna and conduit after I had already built the VS. I did have to drill out the top rib in order to put nutplates in for the puck.

Patrick, you are going to be quite happy with the rudder trim.

You are doing almost exactly the same thing I have, and my is very effective.

PB030050.jpg

PB030047.jpg

Hi Sean.

I added a 430W last year, to compliment the SL-30 and used a Bob Archer wingtip mounted antenna and it works like a charm! Completely hidden, no drag penalty either and its range to/from a VOR, matches my other under the rudder cat's whisker.

Best,

Sean,
I put a doubler with nut-plates under the top of the VS. I was concerned for possible stress on the structure of the VS and thought it better to over-design it now, rather than have a crack later. If someone can tell me how to attach pictures to this forum, I'll send those along, as well.

Antenna

Ok, forgive me for the possible fight I may start but cat whiskers on a 10, not good, ugly. Put the archer antenna in the wingtip. OK let me have it.

Pat

Ok, forgive me for the possible fight I may start but cat whiskers on a 10, not good, ugly. Put the archer antenna in the wingtip. OK let me have it.

Pat

I'll give you ugly....... But they are better performing.....

It just goes to what your preferences and requirements are, with no perfect answer to suit everyone.

FYI.... I hid mine under the tail.

bob

comant 157P

I mounted mine in top of the vertical. I wish I had some good pictures of it. I made a plate with nutplates on it and riveted it on the top rib. I had to make slots for on the vertical rib to accept the nutplates. I also have a hole in the middle for the coax. Riveting on the plate to the top vertical rib made up for the strength loss plus some. I carved out the two exits and screwed on the antenna. I also used some parker air hose, I believe 5/16 O.D. and ran that up the front of the vertical ribs. It works great and definitely better than my bob archer mounted in the wingtip. I recommend it. It is also out of the way so my dog won't poke his eyes out. He still might on the lower comm antennas;)

The rudder moves about a 1/2 inch above the whiskers and there is no way of interference.

http://scottandranae.smugmug.com/RV...RV-10/16266278_SBnc2L#1325604237_75mvgFn-A-LB

Thanks for all of the great photos and information! The antenna I purchased was the RAMI version. I was so obsessed with the puck diameter, that I didn't worry about puck height. The RAMI puck is almost twice as thick as the Comant version. I never considered placing it under the forward portion of the rudder as mine sticks up above the skin and wouldn't allow clearance for the rudder. I was figuring it would have to go on forward part of VS inside the fiberglass tip.

I guess the RAMI is getting boxed up and heading back to Spruce.

I realize the wing tip nav antenna would probably be just fine but IMC flying is in this aircrafts future, and I want all of the navigation performance that I can get.

Thanks a million!

Pat

No fight, I'm quite happy with the Archer in my -6A. But I'm using a G900X in the -10 and they, as well as Aerotronics, recommend the Comant. I was told "Why spend all that money on avionics and skimp on the antenna?" Since I'm no expert, I'll take the advice I'm paying for.

Here is what I did.......

I returned the RAMI antenna that was not working and replaced it with a Comant CI-158-C2. I am very pleased with the outcome and think it turned out great.
photo-754096.JPG

I was looking at possible "failure" points by going with this install. The only real issue was having screws just underneath the moving rudder. I decided to go with AN500-A8-612 fillister screws and safety wire.
photo-799753.JPG

Here is a list of the basic parts needed:
Comant CI-158-C2 antenna
Vans black flex conduit
Misc AL sheet
2ea AN931-4-7 rubber grommets
4ea K-1000-8 Nut plates
4ea AN500-A8-612 fillister screws
Safety wire
Proseal

Thanks for all of the great input from everyone. I hope this helps anyone else going this direction in the future. I have some additional pictures at the link below.

https://picasaweb.google.com/105719660990225123091/WorkingPhotos?authkey=Gv1sRgCMarqfD7mIiihgE#

Back