What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VNAV while on External Source

Bavafa

Well Known Member
My last plane which had a combination of G3X and 650, I was able to use VNAV whether on the External flight plan or Internal. My new plane which has all the same equipment, only a 650XI, the VNAV function on G3X works only if I am on an internal source. I even disabled the VNAV function on the 650XI and still did not make any difference. Does anyone know if this functionality has changed or is this a bug in the SW.

I was also wondering if VNAV can also work to climb to an altitude or is it just for descent. It would be nice if it worked for climbs so we could use it during missed approach.

Last edited:
G3Xt VNAV

The G3X Touch VFR navigation database is limited to present only the waypoints for the final approach leg of a published procedure.
These waypoints and associated course line are made available for monitoring
purposes only. No VNAV.

Yes, it's possible to ad a altitude "restriction" to a waypoint in the flightplan.
If the set altitude is higher than the current one, the plane will climb provided
VNAV is selected on the auto pilot.

TO/GA button will activate missed approach and set climb pitch.
The missed approach waypoint's have a default altitude.

https://static.garmin.com/pumac/190-01754-00_u.pdf

Good luck

VNAV Descent Guidance

Good Afternoon,

VNAV is only capable of commanding descent profiles in both the G3X Touch version, and GTN (Xi) Series Navigators. It will never provide guidance for a climb.

If the G3X Touch is receiving ARINC input from a navigator that is capable of VNAV guidance, G3X Touch will disable the internal VNAV functions. This means that a GTN, using the correct ARINC output, will always suppress the VNAV option on the G3X. This is because the GTN will send the VNAV label with invalid data even if VNAV is turned off as a function on the GTN.

When connected to a navigator that is not capable of sending VNAV guidance, no ARINC label will be sent and the G3X will enable use of its VNAV guidance on top of the external FPL.

Thanks,

Justin

Good Afternoon,

VNAV is only capable of commanding descent profiles in both the G3X Touch version, and GTN (Xi) Series Navigators. It will never provide guidance for a climb.

If the G3X Touch is receiving ARINC input from a navigator that is capable of VNAV guidance, G3X Touch will disable the internal VNAV functions. This means that a GTN, using the correct ARINC output, will always suppress the VNAV option on the G3X. This is because the GTN will send the VNAV label with invalid data even if VNAV is turned off as a function on the GTN.

When connected to a navigator that is not capable of sending VNAV guidance, no ARINC label will be sent and the G3X will enable use of its VNAV guidance on top of the external FPL.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,
Good explanation here, thank you.
But can you think of why my old plane which has a 650 (non-xi) and G3X was able to do VNAV even on the external flight plan? I have used this function many times and of no doubt that it worked.
Isn't a 650 (non-xi) capable of VNAV guidance and presumably sending that over the ARINC.

In regards to the climb function, I think it would be very nice if that was possible. I am not sure if this is a related thing or just wasn't designed that way.

Back