What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vixen File

Dbro172

Well Known Member
Got one with my RV builders tool kit from Avery back in 2006. I Never touched it during my entire RV-9A build (i think i tried it once but couldn't figure it out). low and behold, step #1 in the RV-8A empennage says to "round the edges with a vixen file... So I dug it out and within about 5 minutes had it figured out; that baby can really shave off some aluminum! I like it now! Who'd a thunk? That baby is sharp though, i remember cutting myself on it pretty good once just moving it around in my tool box, got gloves?

szk0nd.jpg

Vixen

My favorite for deburring edges.
Put a wrap or two of Gorilla tape around the end so it can't scratch parts.

My favorite for deburring edges.
Put a wrap or two of Gorilla tape around the end so it can't scratch parts.

Jeez, it seems a bit overkill for deburring but I imagine it wouldn't take but one pass. How do you do it?

Edges

Jeez, it seems a bit overkill for deburring but I imagine it wouldn't take but one pass. How do you do it?

Easy peasy.
Photo is self explanatory.
Actually, it's the shear matks you're removing this way. They have the potential to start a crack.
Very little pressure. A few passes and the shear marks are gone. One pass each edge at an angle removes the sharp edge and burrs. Rub with scotchbrite and the edge is smooth.
YMMV
200e986.jpg

Last edited:
Back