What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vise setup?

rotoiti

Well Known Member
My tools have arrived, my bench is set up but my little vise is not going to help, even with the practice kits.

Any suggestions on vise setup? Which ones to buy, how many, how and where to mount them?

Always mount a vice on the corner of the worktable such that it can be swung and worked from two directions. Big bolts or lags.

Buy one that you think is big enough that you can repeatedly strike with a healthy swing of a hammer. Mine is a 4" craftsman that has been my friend for 30 years and has withstood all I could impart with a machinist hammer.
(Its mounted on a beast of a 2x10 framed 4' x 8' table which has moved on some instances) :eek:

Last edited:
I use C-clamps to hold mine to the work table, and about a third of the time have it removed and located elsewhere.

This also lets me move it from one corner to another if needed.

My work table is on wheels to accommodate work space alterations, such as when I changed from the horizontal stabilizer to the moveable surfaces, and again when I transitioned to the wings. The vise, which ought to get frequent traveler miles, moves on and off when desired.

Dave

I have a small vise from Sears that I have had for years. It is mounted to the built in workbench in my garage. I made the mistake of mounting it off to the side and if I need to put long material in it, I have to open the garage door! The size isn't too critical. It works for all of the small stuff. I haven't had to beat on too much stuff in the kit with a hammer.

For the bigger stuff, I have a wood workers vise mounted on a movable work bench/cabinet. You can sort of see it peeking out under the towel under the C-Frame base I made.
IMG_7042-M.jpg

I use this all of the time to hold material. It came in really handy when I had to bend the longerons.

Mount on corner as mentioned above, make sure the handle can swing over the edge of the table.

If it helps, this is what I did, total flexibility.

IMG_7776.JPG

4'x4' on wheels with tools mounted to the corners.

I built my benches with a 2" lip on the working surface so I can clamp my vise wherever I need it, and get it out of the way when I don't need it at all.

FP10032013A000DX.jpg

I mounted a fairly substantial Vise (I think it's a 4" and weighs at least 15 LBS) to my standard EAA workbench by bolting it to one corner. The bolts don't need to be real tight, so it is very easy to remove also.

I moved that bench to my hanger and I still have the vise mounted to it.

Back