What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vibrational Noise between 100 - 130 knots

Hal

I'm New Here
I flew the first flight on my new RV7 yesterday. 8.1 hours on the Hobbs this evening (why not?!)! Everything is perfect except I am getting a high frequency vibrational noise that occurs between 100 and 130 knots IAS. I have not been able to track the source down. It is not related to engine RPM, airspeed only. Today I flew without the wheel pants and associated fairings to see if they were the source. No joy, just slower. After 8 hours today I looked for evidence of smoke. The only thing I noticed was some aluminum black smoke at the rear canopy skirt (slider). This is my fifth RV (and third slider) and I never have had this kind of a problem. Anyone in the RV world seen this before?

Thanks,
Hal Smith

Check the holes in the elevator where the hinge bearings are. Sometimes they can develop a whistle. Put some tape over them and then try flying. If it goes away you will know where the problem is. Good luck and have fun.

Good suggestion Norm. I will give it a try. The smoke on the canopy skirt is a new one for me.

Hal

Hal,

Any chance the exhaust is vibrating and contacting the firewall at those speeds?

I built an 8 that had a sorta shrieky vibe at the back of the skirt (tight fit). A little strip of adhesive backed window felt on the underside of the skirt made it go away forever, so far. You can't see the felt at all.

The diameter of exhaust pipe outlets is larger now than on older systems... check floor board / exh clearance.

Yep....the rear skirt.......

.....also made a very high buzzing at around the same airspeed. My buddy reached back there and shoved upwards and the sound changed. At cruise speed it tended to go away and I could vary the power/speed and stop it. A strip of thin felt solved the problem and also the "smoking" aluminum.

The flap tape that Avery sells will also work.

Regards,

Back