What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vibration

amekler

Well Known Member
Patron
on my co pilot side my instructor noted a vibration on the side panel below the air inlet. in fact my air vent (metal) broke off. i don't notice anything as bas on the pilot side. any advice on where to look for the cause. plane has about 210 hrs .
thanks,
Alan
N668G

We noticed a vibration in that area on ours and it turned out to be an oil canning effect on the skin in that area. You could try to press your hand or leg in that area during flight to see if it stops in order to see if thats the culprit. One possible way to fix it if thats it, is to put a little aluminum angle to act as a stiffener.

brian,
that may be it. will try it next flight. have to figure out how to replace my air vent without a major repair.
Alan

Wow. interesting. I had the exact same issue discovered early on during phase 1. Is your fuse quick or slow build? Mine is slow build. It took a while to figure out where the noise was coming from, as it is not obvious. I taped some 3/4" soundproofing material to the offending panel. Anything to stop the resonance should be fine. Possibly reriveting or an angle etc. are other possible solutions of course too.

mine is a quick build.
will try your suggestion. it definetely seems to be in that one area.
alan

I posted about this 2 years ago, but i dont think i ever got a response from anyone else with the same issue till now. ;)

Amekler, how many hours do you have?

My temp solution has effectively solved the problem. After 300 hours, no signs of excessive vibration anywhere. At the time, I thought about re-riveting to try and tighten up that panel but the temp solution has worked well enough on its own. Probably all the interiors people have put in effectively do the same thing to dampen skins as well.

It doesn't happen on the pilot's side because there is a wire hangar riveted to the offending skin with 2 bundles of wires to prevent resonance. I followed the Van's wiring plans. The copilot side has no support at all, so the skin resonates causing excess noise as well as vibration. You definitely want to prevent this.

I posted about this 2 years ago, but i dont think i ever got a response from anyone else with the same issue till now. ;)

My temp solution has effectively solved the problem. After 300 hours, no signs of excessive vibration anywhere. At the time, I thought about re-riveting to try and tighten up that panel but the temp solution has worked well enough on its own. Probably all the interiors people have put in effectively do the same thing to dampen skins as well.

It doesn't happen on the pilot's side because there is a wire hangar riveted to the offending skin with 2 bundles of wires to prevent resonance. I followed the Van's wiring plans. The copilot side has no support at all, so the skin resonates causing excess noise as well as vibration. You definitely want to prevent this.

I ran wires down both sides, installed wiring supports and cover to match left side. That must be why some of us are not seeing it. I do sometimes get a little vibration in the door handle release lever at certain rpm/power settings.

I suspect that some of the material used by car stereo installation folks will make a difference here.

Go talk to a car stereo guy about "Dynamat" or other similar products.

i have about 215 hrs. vibration has broken my aluminum air vent off.
need to figure out how to fix this. will get prop balanced but it definetely appears to be what you said.
Alan

not showing pictureswhat is the best way to repair this?/Users/alanmekler/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2013/10/14/20131014-170815/auD3I1ApRRSLBC20mtopfQ/IMG_1817.jpg
/Users/alanmekler/Pictures/iPhoto Library.photolibrary/Previews/2013/10/14/20131014-170848/BOLpPSgWSby+VA56T7WeLw/IMG_1814.jpg

Last edited:
You have to upload the pictures to a hosting site (i.e. Picasa. shutterfly, etc). Then you can post the link to the pics.

Vibration fix

on my co pilot side my instructor noted a vibration on the side panel below the air inlet. in fact my air vent (metal) broke off. i don't notice anything as bas on the pilot side. any advice on where to look for the cause. plane has about 210 hrs .
thanks,
Alan
N668G

Alan, a friend of mine who built a 10 had the same problem it made a lot of noise in cruise. We concluded that the skin was oil canning on the passenger side and suspected that the effects of prop wash from the descending blade on that side had something to do with it. He fixed it by riveting a stiffener on the panel as he had not yet painted the airplane. He had earlier balanced the prop but that did not solve the problem.

Alan,

One of my vents broke in the same place. Repaired it with a bead of flox on the outer surface of both pieces. It remains solid after 200+ hrs.

Jim Berry
RV-10

i may try that. need to fix the vibration that caused it.
alan

had prop checked today 0.1 ips
so its not from the prop. will try dynamat or a stiffener.
alan

Picture anyone?

I am busy installing the front vents. Any pictures of the stiffener installation on right side panel to prevent this oil canning and noise?
Thanks.
Johan

Back