What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR minimum equipment

joedallas

Well Known Member
VFR minimum equipment: airspeed, altimeter, compass, tachometer, fuel gauge, oil temperature, oil pressure

And add a radio and a portable GPS

Less is more embracing simplicity

simple is good

I agree with your premise.

If your mission is purely recreational flying and, for most of us it is, then how much do we really need in the panel.

If I wanted a panel full of goodies, a new engine and a CS prop, my plane would probably be flying in 2 or 3 years instead of NOW.

I can buy alot of fuel with the money I've saved and have tons of fun with my simple airplane.

Of course there are those where money is no object :D...so go for it!

Dave
-9A flying

Joe - I like it.

There's almost nothing you can do with the fancy glass that you can't do with that.

VFR minimum equipment: airspeed, altimeter, compass, tachometer, fuel gauge, oil temperature, oil pressure

And add a radio and a portable GPS

GPS? I've flown all over the East coast in my no-electrics 1941 T-Craft with no GPS and never got lost or felt like a GPS was needed.

The radio is optional but being able to announce your position in the pattern is a big safety improvement.

You didn't mention a transponder and since so many pilots are relying on traffic avoidance systems that require a transponder, I'm surprised you didn't include transponder.

BTW, I know of two local homebuilders that are not installing transponders as they do not plan on flying w/in a mode-C veil and their radios will be handheld units to they can talk to their buddies when doing formation flights.

And add radios and a portable GPS

GPS? I've flown all over the East coast in my no-electrics 1941 T-Craft with no GPS and never got lost or felt like a GPS was needed.

The radio is optional but being able to announce your position in the pattern is a big safety improvement.

You didn't mention a transponder and since so many pilots are relying on traffic avoidance systems that require a transponder, I'm surprised you didn't include transponder.

BTW, I know of two local homebuilders that are not installing transponders as they do not plan on flying w/in a mode-C veil and their radios will be handheld units to they can talk to their buddies when doing formation flights.

Change Radio to Radios

Fuel pressure

Being a low wing airplane, I would definitely add fuel pressure.

A volt meter would be helpful as well since you have an electrical system.

And if you are going cross country or at night, I personally would not fly without an attitude indicator of some sort.

Being a low wing airplane, I would definitely add fuel pressure.

A volt meter would be helpful as well since you have an electrical system.

And if you are going cross country or at night, I personally would not fly without an attitude indicator of some sort.

All the added Items are nice and I would add as standalone as much as possible
The Attitude Indicator is also nice but a good compass add knowing how to use it is almost as good.
If I only had one of these things and I was in the soup give me a compass.
And I was with only a compass fot 45 minuts.

Last edited:
Back