What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

VFR into (simulated) IFR

N941WR

Legacy Member
On Monday of this week I had my bi-annual. The instructor I flew had built an RV-7 which was sold and replaced with a part ownership in an F33 Bonanza.

He was looking forward to flying my -9 since I had replaced the D100 with the SkyView and a D1 Pocket Panel. (Prior to his first flight in his -7 I gave him some left seat time in my -9, so he was familiar with the aircraft, even though that was a few years ago.)

I requested that we spend most of the time doing hood work and since he was a CFMEI, he was good with that.

After doing the normal air work stuff (stalls, accelerated stalls, steep turns, etc.) I put on the foggles and he started vectoring me around. Eventually he directed me to an airport and had me fly an approach.

What surprised him was that I was able to hand fly the -9 down to a 150 foot ?decision height? so easily.

When I pointed out that I was able to tell him exactly where we were because of the SkyView?s moving map display, he had me do a missed approach, perform a teardrop to return to the airport (There was no wind and no traffic at the rural airport we were using.) line myself up, descend to the airport, fly down to our mythical 150 foot DH and end up right at the threshold to the runway without any guidance from him or IFR or VFR charts.

Using the all the information available on the SkyView and putting the velocity vector right on the end of the runway made the hood work a breeze.

Unfortunately we both had to get back to work and didn?t get a chance to perform any approaches using the autopilot to fly the plane. We will give that a try the next time we fly together.

What did I learn?

I learned that I still don?t want my instrument rating but if I did something stupid, I could probably get the plane on the ground safely with the use of the auto pilot and help from ATC. (No VFR into IMC for me, thank you very much!)

The Dynon SkyView is one heck of a safety improvement over steam gauges!

I?m very happy I replaced the D100 with the SkyView as it takes the worry out of instrument work.

The Dynon D1 Pocket Panel works as advertised and is a great backup. My friend is thinking about buying one for his F33.

I learned that I still don?t want my instrument rating but if I did something stupid, I could probably get the plane on the ground safely with the use of the auto pilot and help from ATC. (No VFR into IMC for me, thank you very much!)

You may want to give your insurance agent a call and ask what discount you will get if you get your IFR rating. I know on a RV-10, it's significant. It saved me about 30% on the hull insurance.

You may want to give your insurance agent a call and ask what discount you will get if you get your IFR rating. I know on a RV-10, it's significant. It saved me about 30% on the hull insurance.

While they will most likely give me a discount, my -9 isn't set up for it and the cost of installing the appropriate equipment to file IFR will probably be more than any savings I might get on my insurance premium.

However, if I had built a -10, it would be set up for IFR and I would probably work on my rating.

What I discovered when building the -9 was that there are many RV's equipped for IFR flight and few that actually fly IFR.

Single Skyview

Bill,
Did you put in a single 10" Skyview or two? As much as I like the D-100/D-120 combo, after flying a buddies 7A with dual Skyview's I would sure like to upgrade. I probably can't till I at least get it painted, but it's on the short list of upgrades!!!

While they will most likely give me a discount, my -9 isn't set up for it and the cost of installing the appropriate equipment to file IFR will probably be more than any savings I might get on my insurance premium.

However, if I had built a -10, it would be set up for IFR and I would probably work on my rating.

What I discovered when building the -9 was that there are many RV's equipped for IFR flight and few that actually fly IFR.

Not only that........

On different forums, I've seen pic postings of multiple shades of gray clouds from IFR enthusiasts. With all of the excellent ground scenery out here in the mountain west, the innards of monotone gray clouds don't excite me much. And IFR seldom follows any routes........where I want to go. And then of course, you need to fly lots of IFR to remain proficient. I keep saying, that when I get older, perhaps "finish" the rating. I might be about 80 then...

L.Adamson

Bill,
Did you put in a single 10" Skyview or two? As much as I like the D-100/D-120 combo, after flying a buddies 7A with dual Skyview's I would sure like to upgrade. I probably can't till I at least get it painted, but it's on the short list of upgrades!!!

I put in a single 10". (I know, I need to post some pictures.)

My D100 EFIS was mounted on the left side along with an old-school airspeed indicator and altimeter. I had a D10 EMS mounted on the right side, in front of the passenger. If there was a pilot-passenger, I could display the EFIS info on the D10 EMS. I found that I didn't do that often enough to justify putting another EFIS on the right side.

The 10" Skyview has enough real-estate that I didn't feel a second screen was needed. Also, after flying with the D100 I felt these newfangled EFIS displays were reliable enough that I didn?t bother putting the steam gauges back in.

My typical display is 40% artificial horizon w/ synthetic vision, 40% moving map, and 20% EMS data. Not to hurt Dynon's sales, but I have never felt like I needed more real-estate.

Note, I did keep the AirGizmo with the Garmin 496 in the top of the radio stack for weather.

It's interesting to read of non rated pilots tell how easy it is

A few hours ago I flew our "steam gauge" RV-6A IFR in IMC from Fayetteville, Arkansas to Lufkin, TX, flew the VOR Rwy 33 approach that I had never seen before to an airport I have never been to before then cancelled IFR with Houston Center on final and continued to Jasper, TX under the overcast to participate in tomorrow's race. Some people love this kind of flying like they do working puzzles - I DO NOT - but that is why Jimmy did his thing so many years ago, to expand the utility of these flying machines. I'm glad your system makes it easier. I did have my Garmin 695 on monitoring the approach in the normal cross country mode and it is a comfort and a safety enhancer I believe. In the 500 ft AGL flight to Jasper the obsticle warning function worked as expected.

Good luck in pushing the technology - maybe it will come in time to help even me? I will not go into it here but getting an instrument rating has to be much different now than it was when I got mine in 1984. You may find it quite comfortable and very compatible with the kind of flying you already do (yes even in the mountains). This coming from a guy that used to maintain a 5 antenna low frequency radio range 5 miles off the end of the runway at Shaw AFB in South Carolina and has never flown a RNAV approach - but what the heck, validity is not an internet requirement.

Bob Axsom

Last edited:
As far as a discount on your insurance your -9 doesn't have to be set up or modified to get your IFR rating. I would encourage everybody to get the rating regardless. The training is very worthwhile even if you don't stay current or don't intend to ever file IFR.

I too recently spent an entire BFR under the hood.....full stall series, unusual attitudes, everything. It was a boatload of fun.

Absolutely agree an instrument rating might make me a better pilot...but let's also remember there's really no excuse for VFR-into-IFR loss of control. Basic attitude instrument competence is required for a Private checkride. Most of us just don't practice enough. I certainly didn't when I was spending all my flying time in light stuff, most of which didn't even have a T&B. The -8 changes that dynamic, as its primary purpose is cross country. It was past time to get serious.

I use a single GRT Sport 8.4 and a 696, and found it more than enough to fly an emergency approach. Like many here, this is my first glass panel. Me like.

The 10" Skyview has enough real-estate that I didn't feel a second screen was needed.

After a couple hours of hood work, i found that i really like having the full screen or at least 80% dedicated to the artificial horizon. It just made the flying easier for me. That is one motivation for me to have a second screen.

Jae

Back