What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vetterman muffler system?

N130WN

Well Known Member
Anyone have any feedback on the Vetterman exhaust system with mufflers? A friend is considering them for his flying RV-9 O-320.

Any input anyone?

O-360 with two mufflers

I installed an O-360 with two mufflers on my 9A. Vetterman built the system. It's a little quieter than one muffler. My intent was to be neighborhood friendly given the residential encroachment we face in Tucson.

No problems with installation or performance. I regularly achieve 1550 fpm at 3500 d/a with full fuel and passenger.

Vettermanized exhaust with mufflers

I have an RV9A with an Aircraft Exhaust exhaust with mufflers. I had problems with leakage at the ball joints so I sent it to Vetterman to be adjusted to his specs. When the system was returned I also had them include straight pipes as I wanted to make a comparison. The straight pipes definitely added a fair amount of cabin noise plus added vibration. Switched back to the mufflers as they made the flight more comfortable. I did not notice any difference in speeds.

Paul Eckenroth
N509RV

Quieter and less vibration

The straight pipes definitely added a fair amount of cabin noise plus added vibration. Switched back to the mufflers as they made the flight more comfortable.

Paul Eckenroth
N509RV

That's also one of the reasons I went with 2 mufflers. My bird is definitely quieter and has less vibration than the RV I trained in.

Back