What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Very Strange Occurance; SilverHawk Sticky Mixture Control, Round 2

JonJay

Well Known Member
Original post link here http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=54763&highlight=sticky+mixture

At 325 hours, a mere 40 hours later, my mixture control started getting stiff again. A quick call to Precision and it was on its way back to the factory on their dime. They where very apologetic and insisted although they had a few of these types of failures on their Bendix line, even fewer on the SliverHawk, none had ever been returned for the same repair later.

Now, here is the really strange part. A day later I get a call from them. "where you able to get idle cut off?" "Yes", where you able to lean normally? "Yes". "Well, that's impossible. There is a plate in the mixure assembly and it was installed backwards. Has anyone else been inside this unit?" "No, I took it off my flying airplane and shipped it back to you". "Well, that is impossible. Also, we found the mixture contol was not sticking at all."

That is pretty much where the conversation ended. Now, he never called me a liar directly, but....since it is impossible that my working unit could work, well, impossible is impossible. I told him I would be happy to send him copies of my logs showing that I flew a few days before I removed the unit and shipped it. However, the conversation was over.

My theory is that someone at Precision is trying to cover their butt. It was not rebuilt properly the first time, or who knows what. But impossible is impossible and my airplane had been flying for 40 hours by the grace of God or some other kind of devine intervention.

If anyone that cruises these forums knows anything about the internals of the mixture control part of the SilverHawk, maybe I can get this mystery solved.

I expect my rebuilt unit back from them today.

PS - the original problem was sited as incorrect type of grease. That was not what they told me this time. It was an assembly process problem that allowed a seal to wipe the grease away. They changed the procedures on how they install the seals but the grease is the same.

Same Problem last year

I sent my SilverHawk out 2 years ago with the same problem. Thought it was the cable binding till I took it out. So far, about 180 hours and it's still working fine. I'll keep an eye on it, now that I've read about your second problem.

Seb Trost
RV-7A 428 hours
Boulder City, NV

Last edited:
Precision Service

I would like to add, that despite the "issue" they where very responsive. I immediately was transfered to their technical support, they where friendly and apologetic for the issue, paid for the freight both ways, and repaired my unit in one day. I am just trying to solve this "mystery". Fair is fair and did not want to throw them under the buss (yet)

Not possible

Now, here is the really strange part. A day later I get a call from them. "where you able to get idle cut off?" "Yes", where you able to lean normally? "Yes". "Well, that's impossible. There is a plate in the mixure assembly and it was installed backwards. Has anyone else been inside this unit?" "No, I took it off my flying airplane and shipped it back to you". "Well, that is impossible. Also, we found the mixture contol was not sticking at all."

It is impossible to install the mixture control plate backward on the mixture control shaft on a Bendix/Precision fuel injection system. End of comments.

Don

Thanks Don

It is impossible to install the mixture control plate backward on the mixture control shaft on a Bendix/Precision fuel injection system. End of comments.

Don

I appreciate you chiming in. I think there is a serious communication disconnect between the technical support people and the technicians that perform the work. I hope this repair "sticks", ha, I mean works for a while, sheeez.....

SilverHawk

If the "fix" doesn't fix it, give me a call, I think I know what's wrong.

Don

Hey Don:
This is a SilverHawk system, similar to the TCM style FI system. I think the mix is sort-of controlled by a plate (that rotates with the throttle shaft) with holes in it. As you know,, the true mixture control is on the mech pump.

They are correct -- it would not work if the plate were installed backwards, as the fuel controller would give full flow at idle, and idle flow at full throttle. I doubt it would start, and run.

Carry on!
Mark

Makes sense...

Hey Don:
This is a SilverHawk system, similar to the TCM style FI system. I think the mix is sort-of controlled by a plate (that rotates with the throttle shaft) with holes in it. As you know,, the true mixture control is on the mech pump.

They are correct -- it would not work if the plate were installed backwards, as the fuel controller would give full flow at idle, and idle flow at full throttle. I doubt it would start, and run.

Carry on!
Mark

...but it worked just fine except for the sticky mixture control. So, some gremlin working at UPS unboxed it, reversed it, and put it back in the box before Precision got it!
It is now repaired, back on my airplane, and running fine. I hope it goes more than 40 hours before it gets sticky again.

Back