What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Verticle Stabilizer Rivet Pattern

Geico266

Well Known Member
Okay, I've completed the empanage & tail cone kit and I'm waiting for the wing & fuse kit. In looking over my work (wondering around the shop looking for something to do) I noticed some rivets that appear to be "MIA". They are the last 10 holes (5 per side) in the bottom portion, on the sides, of the vert stab assembly. This is the portion that attaches to the tail cone bulkhead. I've re-read the instructions a few times, but cannot seem to find where I'm suppose to rivet these. Clearly, they are to be riveted, but I like to stick to the plans. Anyone know where this is called out? Pretty sure they will be LP-4-3 blind rivets.

Any direction to the info greatly appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you are talking about the rear spar on the vertical stab then you can go ahead and rivet them with LP4-3. I called Vans to ask and they said if you are all done with everything else on the tail its Ok to rivet them. The bottom holes are for mounting the Vertical stab and bottom hinge. J

If you are talking about the rear spar on the vertical stab then you can go ahead and rivet them with LP4-3. I called Vans to ask and they said if you are all done with everything else on the tail its Ok to rivet them. The bottom holes are for mounting the Vertical stab and bottom hinge. J

Thanks Jet guy, I missed this post during the holidays. I must have read the preint 4 times looking for the directions. Finally, common sence (or lack there of) told me to rivet it.

Well, it looks like this problem has finally made it into the form of a revision.

CHANGE NOTICE 12CN 01-19-09-1

REASON FOR REVISION: Instruction and hardware for riveting lower rear spar flange holes of V-Stab is not specified.

REVISION DESCRIPTION:
Page 06-07 REV 1: Added "Step 3: Rivet the remaining open holes of the flange at the lower end of the V-Stab Skeleton Assembly per call-out in Figure 1."

Back