What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Verticle Stab Extra hole in Rear Spar and Doubler

Patch

Just starting work on Vertical Stabilizer and noticed an extra hole in the Spar Doubler (VS-808) and the Rear Spar (VS-803). This hole is on the common centerline for all of the Lightning holes and between the lower two 2" holes and the next two 1 1/2" holes. Looks to be between the holes labeled "HOLES DRILLED IN ASSEMBLY WITH FUSELAGE". This hole appears to be a # 31 hole and is in both detail parts at the same location.

My question is what am I to do with this hole. Because of its location should prepare them for a flush head on the fwd side of the spar, or prepare it for a BJ rivet as those found above it. Perhaps I should leave this hole and it will be drilled out in a later operation with the fuselage. I checked out dwgs 27 and 27A and could not find this hole indicated.

Help as how to deal with this holes will be appreciated.

Thank you,

Scott

hopefully someone will answer with more assurance, but i think it is a tooling hole. i asked vans about it and wrote down the answer but forgot it and don't know exactly where to find it in my notes. i believe i just left it empty
edit- yes, i did talk to vans about it i found my notes, they said to leave it empty. i didn't write down that it is a tooling hole but i believe that is what it is.

Last edited:
Back