What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Verticle/horiz stab fit/removal

rjcthree

Well Known Member
My horiz and vert stabs have been fit for about 6 months now. I remember the vert stab spar to be a challenge to fit into the rear cone of the fuse. Now, with the reinforcement/forward spar plate attached, I can't get it off! I'm thinking I can push the horiz stab back a couple inches and this may be enough.

Anybody else solved this puzzle?

Rick 90432

Last edited:
Yes, I encountered exactly the same problem. My solution was a highly unscientific, grunting, muttering, cussing, wrestling match until it finally came off. It was a PITA ... a lot like getting the F-912(?) rear bulkhead back into a QB fuse. Which I had an ingenious solution, but I'm into whatever works. :eek:

I recall doing all this, and if you fiddle with it enough, it will come apart. The key is remembering what you did the FIRST time to get it off when it comes to the SECOND time you want to get it off....

greg

Probably best way to fit the VS (especially after painting) is to slide the HS back a couple inches which allows the VS to slide directly into place without bending or scratching anything.

Back