What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vertical Stabilizer Rear Spar Rivets

Hi there, I am looking at the rivet pattern for the bottom of the VS rear spar and it is using AN426AD4-7s for both the rivets that go through the bottom hinge and for those that dont. Given that the rivets are correct size for the doubler, spar and spar cap, doesnt that make them very short for when they are going through the bottom hinge as well? Or have I done something wrong here...

Thanks for any assistance.

cheers

Paul

When I did my VS I thought the same thing. I used a pneumatic squeezer and squeezed one rivet then checked it with a gauge. Checked out fine. Tech counselor looked it over and he was satisfied...

You can actually figure the required minimum rivet length if you want. According to the metal working book, add up the individual thickness of each layer, multiply the rivet diameter by 1.25 to 1.5 and add it to the layer thickness. Multiply that result by 16 to get the length of the rivet in 16ths...

As the build continues, you will find many places where the specified rivet size is in doubt. Get yourself a guage so you can check.

Lots of places you'll find you are between sizes. Using a slightly under-size will result in a very slightly weaker joint (provided you don't over-squeeze). Slightly over-size is OK but you have a greater risk of clinching the rivet and having to drill it out - which may end up with a worse result than slightly under-size.

My experience has shown that VANS generally specify slightly under rather than over-size.

Back