What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vents in tank ribs.

Hornet2008

Well Known Member
I'm up to my ears in fuel tanks and remember reading something about drilling holes in the upper part of the rib to aid venting whilst refuelling. Can't find the thread but does anyone have any experience with this?

Don't bother....

Thanks Tom, very helpful. I may put a hinged flap in the inboard bay just to hold fuel for steep turns etc.

Unless you do a lot of uncoordinated turns the fuel will not go anywhere different then when in level flight.

Kent

I did

on my -8. I added a 3/8 hole in what I think are the high points when the aircraft is resting level on the ground. There is a factory hole also, but the complaint was that it vented too slowly when refueling. I haven't finished my plane so I don't if it will help, I do feel that it will not hurt.

bird

Different Question

Pete,

As you know the idea of putting in a flapper door is a different question. I see no harm in doing that as long as you can convince yourself that there is no way for the door to somehow get stuck in the closed position.

As Kent said - as long as you're not flying uncoordinated for long periods of time it's really not necessary. I think if you have to worry about a 30 second slip causing fuel starvation, then you're probably too low on fuel.

My $0.02

Vents in tank ribs

Standard tank construction. No issues with steep turns, slips, etc.

The last couple gallons go in slowly but when you are that near full, it should anyway to keep from overfilling and pouring it out on the ground.

Looked at adding vent holes but decided against it. No regrets.

N355RV
200 hours TT

Keith

Standard tank construction. No issues with steep turns, slips, etc.

The last couple gallons go in slowly but when you are that near full, it should anyway to keep from overfilling and pouring it out on the ground.

Looked at adding vent holes but decided against it. No regrets.

N355RV
200 hours TT

Keith

I couldn't agree more. The issue isn't getting the air out to fill the tanks, the issue is getting the fuel past all the ribs.

The trick is to point the fuel nozzle towards the fuselage, not towards the end of the tank where it splashes off the end rib. Then, as the tank is close to full, go and fill the other wing, then come back to the first wing, and when finished topping it off, go back and top off #2. It isn?t an issue worth worrying about, IMHO.

As for the flapper door in the tanks, that is a mod for the acro guys because they are trying to keep the fuel close to the flop tube when doing the negative fun stuff. As long as you are performing positive G coordinated flight, there is no problem.

Back