What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vent problem

bob888

Well Known Member
I have installed the standard Vans SV1 and SV2 NACA air ducts and had planned to simply use the standard air vents BUT I now find that my instrument panel (from Stein) interferes with the air ducts, i.e. can't put the panel on with the air ducts in place. I presume I will have to remove the (prosealed) air ducts from the NACA cutout on the fuselage sidewall, but what can be used to replace them and still have satisfactory ventilation? The instrument panel is about 1/2 inch too low to clear the existing ducts.

A second question is: What's the best way to remove a prosealed air duct?

I had a similar problem, and I was also using the large Stein eyeball vents. There was no room for scat so I cut both vents and fibreglassed them together.

ventv.jpg

Last edited:
What Bob said.

I needed to cut the rear flange off the stock Vans naca vents. It shouldn't be hard to do it with the vents prosealed in place.

Then just run a short piece of scat tube between the naca and the eyeball vent.

I used the standard panel and mounted the Stein units on an plate attached to the bottom of the switch panel and the fuselage side. The RV-10 NACA fitting is just the standard VANS one with a mount glued on - I didn't realize that at the time. I ordered new parts but could just have cut off the flange and saved myself a few bucks.

The scat run is extremely short and was difficult to fit. I had to attach to the flanges with the small panel I had made off and then screw it onto the fittings. The scat looks a bit scrunched (sorry about the overly technical terms) but works fine. I used black tubing as I was advised it was a bit more flexible.

Back