What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

vent line

rwarre

Well Known Member
I deviated a little from the plans on the vent line. See pictures. Will my deviation interfere with the rudder cables?

ventline001xz0.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Vent line

Seems to me that your rudder cables would definitely rub against your fuel vent lines. Do a search on Bonaco and you'll see how a lot of us solved the bent aluminum tubing dilemma.

My 6A rudder cables run through a stiff piece of white "water pipe" at that location. It's somewhere around 18" long with beveled edges inside, and secured with safety wires at both ends.

At least this would make contact with the tubing, a non-event.

In the pic, this tube is below the map holder that has three lightning holes.

http://img70.imageshack.us/img70/1489/dsc05218reducedhx6.jpg

edit: I should mention that I used the water pipe, because I have a lot of wires running on the side of it. The older 6's had the battery in the cockpit side of the firewall, and no room to run wiring down the center of the floor.

L.Adamson

Last edited:
Hay Randy

It looks like you have at least one grommet for your rudder cables installed. Now is a good time to install your rudder cables. You'll have to install the grommets and cable together. Remember the sequence for grommet/cable installation. Before running the cable through the pre-drilled hole you must pre-install the grommet over the rudder cable end then install grommet into the drilled hole. Give the grommet a squeeze and slide the cable end over the grommet for each run. Now you can check for clearances.
regards

Looks like it should work and you can always bent the vent slightly out of the way. I sheathed my rudder cables in some 1/4" ID flexible poly tubing (Lowes) from the front to the back (through all the grommets) to minimize any chafing. Had to split the tubing to get it onto the cable.

greg

I deviated a little from the plans on the vent line. See pictures. Will my deviation interfere with the rudder cables?

ventline001xz0.jpg

Is the fuel tank re-enforcing angle in the correct place. Maybe its a change in the plans, mine fits up against the side support 90 degree angle out. It was a pain to buck and to install the nuts on the bolts for sure. Maybe a positive change has been made on the plans... :)

tank support

There was a pilot hole in the skin for the tank support unless I read the plans wrong.

My mistake

Ok I admit I must be the dumbest builder out there. After studying the plans for what seemed like hours I put the tank reinforcement bracket in the wrong place. Will have to have a few extra rivets and a bolt hole in the skin. Hope I can cover it with filler and paint. Thanks to this website I caught the error with the help of the other builders. Thanks

rwarre

Check you plans. Does that AN fitting in the pic require two large aluminum washers to push the fitting inboard for bent tube clearance and reinforcement?
And fortunately the "lightening holes" you installed will be hidden by the fairing. :) Gee, I only have two of those extra holes :rolleyes:

Back