What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vent Clip

jwilbur

Well Known Member
I forgot to drill the vent-clip hole to 7/16" in order for it to receive a snap bushing. (I could mention that the plans neglect to tell me to do so, but that would be wasting time and whining so I won't mention it). I can still drill it to size with my angle drill, however, that's a bad idea. In the RV-10, the clips are cut from several lengths of identical stiffeners all but two of which are unneeded. I took a discarded clip and drilled it to size to see what it would look like. The images speak for themselves.

The hole isn't centered well in one side of each clip because I trimmed wide, not understanding these holes would be enlarged. Depending on how I oriented the clip in the tank, the little hole might be centered or it may be off (the images will illustrate). it's a 50/50 shot. One tank has the UNfavorable orientation. Not sure about the other yet. I'd really rather not drill this out given all the proseal.

So here's my question. I'm thinking I'll drill out to 9/32" which will leave lots of edge regardless instead of 7/16" and NOT use a snap bushing. Rather, I'll set the vent tube in place, get it torqued properly to the inboard rib and then gob up some proseal around the vent tube where it passes through the clip. This should keep it from vibrating and possibly cracking, I would think. What do you think?

Figure 1: Vent clip all nice and prosealed in place with nice small hole.
IMG-20120706-00205-225x300.jpg

Figure 2: What the vent clip should look like (side A of clip):
IMG-20120706-00208-400x300.jpg

Figure 3: What vent clip might look like (side B of same clip)
IMG-20120706-00207-400x300.jpg

Last edited:
No comments????

Let me be less wordy. Does anyone see a problem with me NOT using a snap bushing on the vent clips?

Is this the fuel tank internal vent that ends up at the filler neck??

If so, you can probably do with a blob of pro seal where the two parts meet to keep the vibration down.

Just be sure the pro seal does not block the end of the tube.

Is this the fuel tank internal vent that ends up at the filler neck??
Just be sure the pro seal does not block the end of the tube.

Thanks Mike. Yes. That's the one. Thanks for the warning to keep the blob away from the end.

No Problem

I'll second Mike.
A generous bead of proseal will keep the 1/4 inch aluminum tube from
chaffing against the clip.

Joe,
I'd put a dab of RTV on the bottom of the tube as extra anti-chaff where it crosses through your improvised clip hole and let it dry before passing the tube through the hole. My rationale is that gravity might allow the tube to rest on the bottom of the hole before the proseal cures which would defeat what you're trying to do with the proseal. Food for thought....

Joe,
I'd put a dab of RTV on the bottom of the tube as extra anti-chaff where it crosses through your improvised clip hole and let it dry before passing the tube through the hole. My rationale is that gravity might allow the tube to rest on the bottom of the hole before the proseal cures which would defeat what you're trying to do with the proseal. Food for thought....

This sounds like a good idea. Thanks.

Not sure I would apply RTV and Proseal in the same place?
If there is one thing that proseal will not stick to it's probably RTV.

The 1/4 inch tube is rigid and once installed won't be "hanging".
Drill that hole out to 3/8th, that leaves a 1/16th gap all around.
Install the tube and bend it so it will stay in place, its rigid and for that last stretch it will stay in place without anything holding it.
Proseal will dry harder than RTV and therefore make a better bushing than RTV.
Apply proseal to all the bushings and the AN connection at the wing root
and pipe a nice bead around both sides of the last clip and you are done with it.
This is what I would do and you can do as you wish.

I know Pro Seal is made to be used in fuel, but I have no idea what RTV will do in fuel.

Think about it:confused:

All good points. I don't have RTV on hand anyway. What I'm going to do is put a thin layer of proseal around the vent tube (only where it will be in contact with the clip), let it harden and then put it through the clip and gob proseal around it. This will address Todd's concern about gravity pulling the tube into contact with the clip before the proseal cures and I think should be a good make-shift bushing all at once.

Back