What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vehicles on the runway

Little Wing

Was turning base to final yesterday at an uncontrolled airport when a truck entered the runway. No radio calls what so ever. Proceeded to drive the entire length of the runway and exit. Of course I had to go around. I called the FBO after landing and ended up talking to the airport manager who was the one in the truck. I was advised previous aircraft reported FOD on the runway and he had me in sight on the downwind and proceeded to to a runway check. I was on freq for at least 15 mins and never head another transmission from him or other aircraft. Didn't pass the smell check, to me this was careless and wreckless especially form an airport manager. And yes I was on the correct CTAF. Be careful out there.

I’ve had things like this happen. It’s an uncontrolled airport they are probably doing their best. I’d rather them sweep the runway and not have fod damage my plane. I’ll use see and avoid like anyone else would at an uncontrolled airport. Some planes don’t have ADSB or radios so there is that too.

Was turning base to final yesterday at an uncontrolled airport when a truck entered the runway. No radio calls what so ever. Proceeded to drive the entire length of the runway and exit. Of course I had to go around. I called the FBO after landing and ended up talking to the airport manager who was the one in the truck. I was advised previous aircraft reported FOD on the runway and he had me in sight on the downwind and proceeded to to a runway check. I was on freq for at least 15 mins and never head another transmission from him or other aircraft. Didn't pass the smell check, to me this was careless and wreckless especially form an airport manager. And yes I was on the correct CTAF. Be careful out there.

Well, at least you saw them and avoided them, then followed up.

Never heard the truck or the other aircraft, but the previous aircraft reported FOD to the airport manager who acknowledged by checking for said FOD? If the two of them could communicate, is is possible you were on the wrong CTAF frequency, had the wrong radio selected, or something similar?

I agree, that's why I just kinda let it go but I would at least think he would have had a VHF and make a radio call.
Well, at least you saw them and avoided them, then followed up.

Never heard the truck or the other aircraft, but the previous aircraft reported FOD to the airport manager who acknowledged by checking for said FOD? If the two of them could communicate, is is possible you were on the wrong CTAF frequency, had the wrong radio selected, or something similar?
That was my 1st thought when he pulled onto the runway I checked freq again on downwind, my vhf is good I fly in/out of a controlled airport.

I have had similar experiences with runway incursions. And not just on the ground. One that has stuck in my mind since it happened several decades ago was a Cassut (read: really tiny, difficult-to-see aircraft) landing DOWNWIND that I just happened to see as I turned final. Lesson learned: I ALWAYS look way up runway to see if someone is landing against the preferred, in-use runway.

If that truck had pulled out in front of me, he might have wondered how his radio antenna was suddenly bent so far forward.....:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

One can never be TOO observant....

Oh, just wait till you're on short final and have a couple of ATVs dart accross the approach end of the runway. One little strip not far from me has neighbors that cross the runway as a shortcut to town quite regularly. That and all manner of animals in the area make go-arounds a common occurence.

Oh, just wait till you're on short final and have a couple of ATVs dart across the approach end of the runway. One little strip not far from me has neighbors that cross the runway as a shortcut to town quite regularly. That and all manner of animals in the area make go-arounds a common occurrence.
Yep! That's why I added a horn to my lower mount brace..... toot, toot. We have cows and deer. And they never announce.

I am at a fairly large uncontrolled airport with plenty of activity all day. I know the airport manager, or any airport vehicle, do not have a VHF radio in them their truck. First thing every morning that the first arriving line boy or airport manager does is drive the runway to look for any FOD or see if any runway lighting was damaged over night. Since I am often first person up flying a couple days a week, I know to watch for them and give them room.
I prefer flying from uncontrolled airports but I learned years ago to look out the window constantly, in every direction and never ever depend on radio calls (and more recently, definitely do not depend on ADS-b). We also have coyotes, deer, geese, hawks, etc occasionally on the runway and they never make a radio call.

Last edited:
I prefer flying from uncontrolled airports but I learned years ago to look out the window constantly, in every direction and never ever depend on radio calls (and more recently, definitely do not depend on ADS-b). We also have coyotes, deer, geese, hawks, etc occasionally on the runway and they never make a radio call.
Agreed! LOOK AROUND! As my Dad would say (WWII instructor): 'a sore neck is better than a broken one!' I was out just watching yesterday and there were airplanes coming from multiple directions through the pattern at pattern altitude! without announcing. Many aircraft flying here are not required to have ADS-B and, IMHO, that should not be relied on to find traffic anyway. How many times have I seen an airplane close and no ADS-B triangle! Or the triangle is there but no airplane! When I'm in the Cub, I'll announce 'no ADS-B' so they aren't in the cockpit looking for me......

There is one hot-shot pilot here who is never on the radio when he is flying his J-3 Cub. I guess one does not have to be on the radio but sure is a good thing when the pattern is busy, as it usually is here. He also flies a C-185 and every time he departs, everything is full forward and it sounds like an Aeroshell T-6 at OSH. 🤬 :mad: I guess he is trying to get the airport closed....:censored:

Not a vehicle, but we have a guy flying a Stearman at our airport who refuses to get a radio, and he flies literally halfway across the country on occasion. While strictly legal, I consider this discourteous and borderline criminal when you can buy a handheld for about $200. We have learned to keep our eyes open for him and any others who won’t communicate.

Back