What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's wiring harness

Darren S

Well Known Member
I'm getting no help over at the "electrical systems" so I'll try here. I am at the panel planning, acquiring instruments and doing wiring drawings, stage on my -7 build.

I'll be using a MGL Voyager, Microair radio and Microair transponder. The panel is a basic day/night VFR. No IFR.

I like the EXP 2 Bus that Van's offers and am intrigued by the wiring harness that they offer. Some like it, some say it is not worth it. The cost of wire alone is just about the cost of the harness. I know some connectors will need to be cut and modified, but it seems like a great place to start.

I would like to see a wiring diagram of the harness if someone would be kind enough to send it to me. Either a pm or an email to [email protected].

Then I can get a feel for what additional things I need to order from SteinAir.

Thanks,

Darren

:D Use Van's harness for spare wire and misc... I will tell you now and you will KNOW later, buy the harness for each of you applications!!! You will save a *#^ load of money in the long run.

I found Van's wiring harness and scematic to be very good for the basic wiring and it was very easy to add the rest of the systems. Don

Darren - Look up the EXP II bus on VAF. There's quite a bit of thread about that. I was looking at that for a while. Found that there are quite a few negatives.

I am just finishing my wiring. Van's schematic is a great place to start. I used their "generic" wiring kit. It was okay at best. I still had to order quite a bit of wire and terminals from elsewhere. The model specific kits are probably better. Combine that with the prefabbed harnesses that you can get for your black boxes and you should be all set.

Ultimately, you will have to customize your wiring for your needs. Plan your system starting from your source power then to the users.

Battery
Alternator
Current limiter (anl 60 or 60 amp breaker)
Relays (diodes x2)
Busses (main, avionics, endurance, etc)
Buss tie (schotty diode, relay, switch, etc)
Current limiters (breakers or fuses)
Switches (SPST, DPDT, ignition, master)
Avionics
Lighting

Run your wires through loose zip ties to keep everything going where you want it, otherwise it'll look like a bowl of spaghetti. Then when everything is ready you can either zip tie your bundles or wire tie.

Try to isolate your bundles.
1. those that include motors, servos and general wiring (lighting)
2. EFIS (probably not necessary, but I did it anyway.)
3. audio
4. antennas (cross coax at 90 degree angles)

Thanks for the replies,

Reiley, please elaborate. Why does the wiring harness kit not live up to it's billing.

Don, did you buy this kit ? Two place wiring harness kits: ES WH 6/7/9 KIT. This is from the Van's site and is $350

"These are actual finished wiring harnesses for the various RV's. These harnesses have all wire precut to length and terminals installed. It looks like a giant nervous system! It is intended to be the simplest and quickest way to install the routine necessary wiring. These are custom to the specific aircraft and are the BEST BUY for the builder. It includes installation directions and drawings. This system is designed to be easily modified/upgraded to meet the builder's specific requirements."

Tony, thanks for the suggestion on the EXP 2 Bus. It looks interesting but I need to read what others have to say. Again, I anticipate that some will love it and others hate it. I'm just going for a basic VFR panel with the Voyager EFIS, lights, xponder, radio.

Anyone have a pdf file or something so I can see what the wiring harness kit looks like ?

Thanks,

Darren

I'm just starting the electricial. I bought the Wire kit from vans. The Van's wiring kit is setup to help a builder wire their RV identicial to how Van's wired their demo model. It comes with instructions and wiring diagrams, but if your planning on changing anything, you'll need to modify the kit.

I'm installing a Garmin 696, D-180, SL30, 240, and a 330.

I'm also using a prewired Power panel from composite design.
ezemg5.jpg

and I'm using the Pro Hub setup to connect the radios
2wog429.jpg

10frvyu.jpg

Last edited:
Hey Chris,

That Pro Hub system looks interesting. How exactly does it work ? Nice and cheap too :)

After reading all about the Vertical Power 50, and reading all through their install and setup manuals (available free online) I just couldn't swallow the $1500 plus the $300 for the wiring kit.

I went through and saw exactly what devices I had that needed power and for the type of panel I am planning, the Exp 2 buss seemed to have adequate points to connect devices.

I can see it's limitations with IFR panels etc..... but that ain't me. I spoke with a few people who have used these busses and they said that they work as advertised. Reliable, and in the right application a good time saver. And at $300 just about the cost of breakers, switches and OV protection.

An EXP buss along with Van's basic wiring kit and I'm ready to start.

So good enough for me.

Darren

Hey Chris,

That Pro Hub system looks interesting. How exactly does it work ? Nice and cheap too :)

After reading all about the Vertical Power 50, and reading all through their install and setup manuals (available free online) I just couldn't swallow the $1500 plus the $300 for the wiring kit.

I went through and saw exactly what devices I had that needed power and for the type of panel I am planning, the Exp 2 buss seemed to have adequate points to connect devices.

I can see it's limitations with IFR panels etc..... but that ain't me. I spoke with a few people who have used these busses and they said that they work as advertised. Reliable, and in the right application a good time saver. And at $300 just about the cost of breakers, switches and OV protection.

An EXP buss along with Van's basic wiring kit and I'm ready to start.

So good enough for me.

Darren
Its a little over kill, but I like the expansion abilities.

Back