What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's visit last week - a few observations

E. D. Eliot

Well Known Member
Visited Van's with my bride last week. While my bride was taking an RV-12 intro flight with Ken, I walked around a bit. Saw RV-12 engine mounts and muffler assemblies in various places throughout the plant.

Asked Ken about whether or not any trailer manufacturers have been by lately and he told me that he thinks that most of us 12 builders won't use a trailer - rather, those of us who can't afford a hanger will try to get our airplanes into a corner of someone's hanger. Makes sense. Maybe I'll be one of very few who will use a trailer to and from the airport often.

It was an awesome morning in Oregon and I walked outside to watch airplanes take off and land. There were a few Cessnas and Pipers using the runway and two Bonanzas. The two Bonanzas made lots of noise as they took off and both pilots carried power during landing until about 1 foot from the runway. These two used most of the runway to stop.

Noticed one airplane approaching and watched as it silently approached and landed. It was an RV-10. Landing roll must have been 400-500 feet. That impressed me!!! Pilot parked his aircraft in front of Van's (quietly). Van emerged from the cockpit, removed his brief case, and walked into the building. What a great way to live - and he has earned it!!!:cool:

Bonanza

Those guys in the Bonanzas weren't doing those things justice. I got a buddy that has a 53 model hand he can fly that thing... He's one of the best pilots I know and fly's it from his home strip to the local airport were he is a helicopter mechanic.
He regularly makes the first turn off with no sweat. Those things are awesome old birds. Decent speed, and very comfortable.

It's no RV-10 but the old girl can still haul the mail...

Back