What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Transponder antenna vs. B&C

LettersFromFlyoverCountry

Well Known Member
B&C sells a little rod-type transponder antenna for $17. Van's sells a rod transponder antenna for $95. what does that additional $78 buy me with the Van's version?

$95, yikes. You can almost get a low-drag fin type for that (e.g., RAMI AV-74). Even commercial rod-style antennas should be $50 (e.g., RAMI AV-22).

TODR

And they are cheap enough...

Good. I already have it. Just got a little concerned when I stumbled across the much-more-expensive Van's version.

...to buy a spare. They do seem to break off when folks work under your plane and roll/slide around....:)

I've seen 5 broken transponder antenna locally in the last few years.

You will be liked by your buddies when you have a instant replacement for their broken antennae....:)

Last edited:
I broke two, both times when I was washing the belly with a brush. I figure it must be designed so it does not poke a hole in someone's head. When my first one broke I went to an avionics shop and paid $90 for a replacement (I needed it for a trip to class C airspace). Then, I brought three from ebay for $12.45 each (mfg by TED). I saved the stubs and later crimped stainless steel hinge pins and made my own belly bend antennas for APRS tracker and a 2nd com. They both work out fine. ATC never had problem with me, however, my ZAON MRX PCAS frequently lock in my own transponder return. It might be a problem from the antenna (just my speculation).

I got a Comant CI-101 stick antenna that I'll sell for $50. It's got about 100 flight hours on it.

I replaced it with a CI-105. I like the look of the CI-105 better and it seems a bit more substantial.

Back