What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Terminal Block

DJR

Starting on the electrical wiring for my 8 and was considering using another "pre-made" Terminal Block as opposed to the one Vans has you fabricate from the plans.
Anyone have any feedback on the Vans version (good/bad etc).
Any links to a pre-made Terminal Block that would work well is much appreciated.

Thanks,
DJR, RV8

Van's is fine

I made and installed my RV-8 wiring in accordance with Van's wiring kit, including the terminal block. The installation is easy and convenient for wiring. There are a few minor things I would do different if I had it to do again, but on the whole, pretty good. The location of the terminal block on the cross brace is fairly convenient -- although you need to pay attention to left-right positioning of it if you are going to use a Garmin SL40 or SL30 radio (and perhaps others). Those radios are very deep, and fit only if positioned above the cross bar. I positioned mine so the back of the radio is just a 1/4" above the cross bar. It would have been bad luck if the terminal block happened to be there. As it was, there was no interference, but there could have been if not prepared.

I also made a twin to the terminal block for a grounding block. There are probably better ideas around for the large number of ground wires that you end up with.

Radio Shack

Search Radio Shack for "terminal block". $2.99 for an 8-position unit, and they're nicely sized for the typical AWG14 thru 22 size wire terminals.

Contrary to popular opinion, I think the Van's terminal block is great. Move it to the center and you'll avoid Steve's issues, and you'll also be able to put a map box on either the left or right side!:D

Making my own from phenolic sheet...

I did not order wiring kit. I checked on MS terminal boards...pricing was good at $30 or so. I checked on 1/4" phenolic and hardware to make it myself and it was about the same with enough leftover phenolic for five more. I have not liked how the plastic deals with compression from setting rivets or tightening bolts. I checked on the price of plastic sheeting- you guessed it...it is cheaper. I don't want my terminal studs getting loose. Besides it is more fun making some things myself.

Back