What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's stall warning on a QB

Janekom

Well Known Member
Patron
I am planning on using a Dynon with AOA heated pitot tube. Now I am just wondering how many builders actually remove the left tank and do the installation of the stall warning switch?

RV-10 stall warning

RV-10 stall warning: I'm not planning on installing it.We have AOA.

Last edited:
I installed it because I was new to the project and I was very much in the "finish step one, go to step two, finish step two, go to step three, etc." mode. I did not know what my panel would look like at that time either. I ended up putting the AFS AOA Pro in, so probably would not install the stall warning if I had it to do over.

BTW, not following the "step one, to step two, to step three" mode from time to time has caused a few "Oh ****" moments.:eek:

Even if you don't personally think you need it, I would recommend you install it anyhow for when someone not as skilled as you fly the plane. The percentage of experimentals that succumb to fatal stall accidents is considerable greater than equivalent spam cans that are mandated to have it.

Just my $0.02.

Last edited:
I installed the stall warning, an AOA, a GRT EFIS, a Trutrack ADI, and Blue Mountain lite. You can never have too many stall warning devices. Oh I forgot, and an airspeed indicator........I recommend you put it in.

A good friend died after stalling his RV-3 at low altitude. We had discussed the lack of aerodynamic stall warning, but he was convinced he knew the aircraft well enough that there was no way he would ever inadvertently stall it.

My RV-8 has no aerodynamic stall warning. I will experiment with stall strips on the leading edge. If I can't find a configuration that provides acceptable aerodynamic stall warning, without hurting stall or cruise speed, I will fit some sort of AOA system with aural stall warning.

Thanks guys - I am now leaning to the "install it" side. It will also have a good number of round backup gauges in the panel as our local CAA (South Africa) seems to battle with the glass cockpit idea on experimentals who wants to do IF flight as well.

Is a plane that is flying IFR required to have a stall warning device and will the AOA meters qualify or do you still need a stall warning buzzer?

Is a plane that is flying IFR required to have a stall warning device and will the AOA meters qualify or do you still need a stall warning buzzer?
There is nothing in the Canadian or US regs for IFR about stall warning. Assuming you are flying in one of these two countries, you are free to do what makes sense to you in this area.

Last edited:
I am planning on using a Dynon with AOA heated pitot tube. Now I am just wondering how many builders actually remove the left tank and do the installation of the stall warning switch?

Just left S.A.; currently in Namibia. I didn't waste my time. All the AoA EFIS units have some sort of stall warning audio.

John

Thanks for asking about what guys are doing!

As a newbie and just starting out I'm also in the follow the directions step by step mode...

That said being a Naval Aviator, I appreaciate AoA indicators and stall warnings tied to them.... and appreciate any insite to various options tied into this...

The T-34 has 'rudder shakers' that go off prior to stall and have quite a bit of buffet prior to -most- stalls... an accelerated stall, especially in out of ballance flight will give little to no warning... I'd urge anyone building a Van's to ensure they have something warning them aurally well prior to the stall... in the Navy aircraft are callibrated to 30 units as the stall point... 1.3 Vs is typically 20 units (what your approach speed is supposed to be)... the T-34's warning system kicks in a ~26 units... if you are at that high AoA you got no buisiness being there short of practicing stalls! Its the back side of the power curve!

I've yet to start searching but I want a simple system that will warn aurally/tactile at a good margin above stall... AoA indication is nice, but I want that warning!

Back