What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's RV-12 Modifications ?

rgmwa

Well Known Member
The following comment appeared on the back page of the 6-2009 RVator advising that the RV-12 demonstrator was being taken out of service temporarily:

" We are making a couple of prototype installations on our sole RV-12 prototype — wheel pants, for example."

We know about the wheel pants, but this suggests that at least one other modification is being trialled. A new fuel tank with a gauge instead of sightglass maybe? Garmin Aero560 to replace 496? Anybody like to guess?

Robert

Last edited:
AP and lights

I like your ideas for changing the panel but as I recall, that 'out of service' time was used to install and test AP and light packages.

Hope that Van's sees the advantages of adding the options of SkyView, 696, Aera, etc. Looks like Garmin will do away with 496 sales in a year or two. Any changes will require a panel change or two.

I think that changes make to the gas tank by Van's is a big and expensive thing for them to do so we're pretty much on our own there. Many of the 'pioneer' kit builders are making changes after the fly off period. I'll likely make some fuel tank and fuel guage changes after the fly off period in my 12.

Would also like to see Van's revise the light package so that the flashers don't have to be on whenever the position lights are on. I will operate from large airports where flashers are not operated during taxi, etc.

It's a great kit and flys wonderfully - build one - you won't be sorry.:cool:

I think that changes make to the gas tank by Van's is a big and expensive thing for them to do so we're pretty much on our own there. Many of the 'pioneer' kit builders are making changes after the fly off period. I'll likely make some fuel tank and fuel guage changes after the fly off period in my 12.

That's odd isn't it. You would think that a change aimed at improving aircraft safety would be easy to get certified. Certainly no more difficult than getting the light package approved.

It's a great kit and flys wonderfully - build one - you won't be sorry.

I'm just waiting for my kit to ship :)

That's odd isn't it. You would think that a change aimed at improving aircraft safety would be easy to get certified. Certainly no more difficult than getting the light package approved.

I don't think he meant that the certifications process is more difficult. Just the mod itself. They would have to be sure that the mod is as simple and effective as possible.

I don't think he meant that the certifications process is more difficult. Just the mod itself. They would have to be sure that the mod is as simple and effective as possible.

I agree, but on the face of it, leaving out the sightglass holes and installing a marine fuel gauge as some of the early builders have now done seems simple enough. It would improve the integrity of the tank, reduce the potential for leaks, facilitate refuelling, and add very little to the cost as the suggested fuel gauge is not expensive.
Judging by the some of the recent discussion on the forum, the sightglass arrangement has caused some concern among builders, even though the plastic plate has now been upgraded. Getting rid of the plate and holes altogether seems like a sensible idea, but maybe there are good reasons why it might be not be that straightforward to implement in the kit.

Robert

Back