What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's prebuilt wiring harness

Darren S

Well Known Member
I am building a -7 and am thinking of buying the Van's wiring harness for $350. It is item : Two place wiring harness kits: ES WH 6/7/9 KIT.
Does anyone know where I could look at the wiring schematic to see if it will fit my needs ? Their site doesn't show anything.

Thanks,

Darren

pre made wire kit

Darren,

Your question doesn't have an easy answer. The answer depends on "your needs".

If your idea of electric system is as per Van's then yes it will work just fine. But if you plan on anything other than the very basic electrical system then it is just a good place to start.

Lots of folks have had good success with Bob Knuckols aero electric web site and his system while lots more complex seems to work great. That is the route I chose and no problems so far.

Mike Ice
RV-9 flying, well it is winter so it is parked, 14 degrees and 83 mph winds the other day.

I am building a -7 and am thinking of buying the Van's wiring harness for $350. It is item : Two place wiring harness kits: ES WH 6/7/9 KIT.
Does anyone know where I could look at the wiring schematic to see if it will fit my needs ? Their site doesn't show anything.

Thanks,

Darren

Don't bother with the Vans harness unless you are planning to build a very basic panel such as the one in the Vans demonstrator. I probably wouldn't even do it then since you will almost certainly use different instuments or lighting combinations than the harness was designed for. Even a slight change will require a modification to the harness which requires cutting it apart.

I bought the harness and ended up just cutting it apart and using what wire I could out of it. It is just easier to buy the wire, connectors, and crimpers to do it myself. That way I have the proper wire size and length specific to my setup. My recomendation is to spend your money on Bob Nuckols' book and go from there.

Greg
RV-7A

See that's the advice I need to know before plunking down my $$. My panel will be basic VFR no IFR. I have my instruments together and what I have so far is:

MGL Voyager, XCom radio, Microair Transponder (the radio and transponder both plug directly into the MGL). Duckworth landing lights, position/marker red/green lights and a tail strobe, electric elevator and flaps, ACS ignition key, fuel pump, and the EXP BUS 2 (this guy http://www.anywheremap.com/detail.aspx?ID=10)

So it is a little different from the Van's schematic but pretty simple (like the builder :)

Is the harness still a waste of time considering the above equipment. If I could see a schematic then I could better decide. The guy a Van's was pretty convincing that it would be a good time saver.

Thanks,

Darren

Anybody else out there can email me a copy of the Van's 6/7/9 kit wiring diagram. I am leaning that way as my panel is pretty simple and I want to do most of the wiring myself.

Darren

Back