What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans pre fab'd seats

miyu1975

Well Known Member
Has anyone ordered and used the vans pre-made seats? I was planning to order them and add to finish kit. My plan is to have a local upsoltery shop do the sewing work.

Also...how do these attach in the fuse...do they just set there or are they bolted down in some way..??

cat-med_seat-foam.jpg

Ryan,

I did exactly as you described; ordered Van's seats and had them covered by a local custom interior shop. They came out very well.

As for those who think the Van's seats aren't good enough, that's what Ron Schreck used when he touched down at all 109 public use airports in North Carolina in one day over 19 hours and 51 minutes. Of course, Ron does win the Iron Butt award.

As for how they are attached, you can use Velcro or nothing, the seat belts will hold them in place.

Ryan,

I paid $45 a hide and it took 1-1/2 hides. However, I had each piece covered separately, so it took more time and leather. This left me with the seat back, wedge, bottom cushion, and the one inch cushion. Plus he cut some sheep skins and made slip covers for me. The upholstery shop charged me $600 for all that. Oh, he also made matching stick boots for me. By having him do all three bottom cushions separately, I have been able to take some very tall people for rides and put them all in for shorter people, like my wife.

Buy three hides, if you can. I sent the extra hide and a half off to Classic Aero and they covered their side panels for me, which will be installed when I get the plane flying again. What I'm saying is, by a lot more than you need because you might want to do the interior at some time in the future.

Find it at........

Classic Aero, along with the seats. You won't be sorry, they are that good.

I bought mine from Ledford?s a number of years ago. I think they wholesale leftovers from what is left of the furniture industry out there. Remember, these are not anti-fire treated hides.

You can try calling them and getting what you want, they may ship. It is really best to go there and see what they have in stock and buy enough on the spot.

Also, those prices I listed are a few years old now, so they may have changed.

PS. I used to work for a high end furniture manufacture out here and the head of our R&D shop retired. He would like to get into making custom plane interiors (I found this out after I had mine stitched outside of work).

Let me know if you are interested and I'll put you in touch with him.

Back