What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's Pitot Tube

WJONES

Hello all,

Just looking for some feed back on Van's Pitot Tube. I'm going with the Dynon EFIS setup but don't really care for the price on the nicer Dynon
Pitot tube. The AOA feature is really not that important to me! Also, after reading on Mike Schipper's site about the SafeAir1 Pitot-Static Air Kit, I think I would like to go that route and was wondering if Van's basic tube works well with that system.
Thanks,

Wes Jones
RV-9A - Wings almost done!

I'd call the SafeAir guys and see... Van's setup is designed for aluminum tubing run all the way to the fuse. I think it will work with the right fittings.

I'd vote to just buy the pitot from Dynon.

All you are doing in getting the SafeAir pitot-static kit is getting some tubing and fittings. It is a great kit (and I purchased one) but you can connect it to anything you want, including the stock Van's tube, assuming you have the necessary adapters/fittings that are probably available from Aircraft Spruce. That said, if you're already getting a Dynon, I'd echo Matthew's advice and suggest just buying their pitot. You may not care about AOA, but at least you'd have the option.

Van's pitot tube works great with the Dynon.That's what I've been using ever since the Dynon came out. Only thing I have different is, I have the stainless pitot. It's just like the aluminum one only less susseptable to damage. In ny opinion the Dynon AOA is not real practicle becaues it is too small and obscure in the instrument. AOA needs to "STAND OUT"! When you are in landing mode your eyes need to be outside with only small glances at the panel.
Mel...DAR

Back