What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans offering 3 blade prop for RV-10

I believe this is it.

Rob Hickman---Advanced Flight System----was "testing" it, IIRC.

RH3Blade1.jpg

DSC_0003.JPG

This Hartzell propeller is unbelievably smooth on my RV-10 and I am very happy with it. The propellers on our planes are potentially one of the most dangerous pieces of equipment that we have. Seeing how this propeller was designed, built, and tested gives me an extremely high level of confidence. The composite blades are made from a layup of carbon fiber, Kevlar, nickel leading edges and an integral stainless steel shank. When you compare how it is manufactured and how comfortable it is to fly behind it is not that expensive.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

Coolness factor aside (and it is waaaayyyyy cool), are there any compelling reasons to go with the 3-blade which is roughly 2.5 times as expensive as the 2-blade (using Van's prices)? I'm no where near purchasing a prop, but I can start saving my pennies now if there's objective reasons to do so.

Would you fly behind it in rain? I'm asking, not saying. I have little experience in rain and none in IMC so I'm wondering if the composite prop is prone to erosion.

Would you fly behind it in rain? I'm asking, not saying. I have little experience in rain and none in IMC so I'm wondering if the composite prop is prone to erosion.

Yes, I have flown behind it in Rain, Snow, and Ice. It has nickel leading edges and is painted just like the metal prop. These are the same blades as Cirrus is using on the SR22, including the new SR22 that is certified for known ice.

Rob Hickman
N402RH RV-10

I can say firsthand that flying through rain in IMC wears the prop. One summer it seemed I flew through a lot of rain and I could not believe the amount of wear simple water does at high speeds to the AL blades. I'm thinking that is why they put in the nickel leading edge. If it was ALL composite, especially the leading edge, I would not count on it lasting long flying through rain. Having the nickel leading edge should provide much better wear that even an all metal Aluminum prop.

Peformance?

How about performance?

Unless you go above the -10 260HP a traditional 3 blade would still under perform a 2 blade, correct?

I think read somewhere that it takes about 300HP to get the same cruise as a 2 blade and still retain the better climb characteristics of the 3 blade.

In other words, the 3 blade will out climb a 2 blade under 300HP but you will lose cruise speed. Once you have 300HP you get the climb and cruise?

These are questions, not statements...

M.:rolleyes:

I think read somewhere that it takes about 300HP to get the same cruise as a 2 blade and still retain the better climb characteristics of the 3 blade.
In other words, the 3 blade will out climb a 2 blade under 300HP but you will lose cruise speed. Once you have 300HP you get the climb and cruise?
These are questions, not statements...
M.:rolleyes:
I don't think these statements can be made with a broad brush. These "rules of thumb" were developed using standard certificated aircraft. The RV series have a much higher "efficiency rating", if you will, and the rules can change.

3-Blade has more ground clearance (couple of inches shorter), it should be smoother and quieter(tip speed is less), should give better climb but slower cruise for same H.P., but looks much cooler.

2-blade is cheaper not only to buy but maintenance and rebuild cost, higher cruise/more efficient, louder and less smooth.

Since the RV-10 has a great short field and I am not flying out of a grass field, I'm going with the 2-blade, but if I had extra money, I can see why the 3-blade would be chosen.

Go with the least number of blades your application will allow you to, the only reason you see 6 blades on those -8 Q400's is because thats how many they need to turn down the shaft stress down with those PW150A developing 5,070 HP,

consequently the person wondering about composite propellers in IMC, precept, the Q400 has composite props as well, for the record I think the 3 blades look better, :)

This is a good thread to start with,

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=457

3-blade

Have a new 3-blade Hartzell on our Piper Lance (300hp) because of AD on old two blade hub and inability to get a new 2-blade for 6 months. The 3-blade is neither quieter or smoother as far as we can tell. Initial acceleration seems better but climb is not; the engine is new (Lyc factory reman) so take that with a grain of salt. Cruise is at least 4 knots slower. The real kicker is what a pain the third blade is for maintenance access! We didn't anticipate that. It does have a little better ground clearance, which is fine for the Lance, where it's minimal at best with the two blade. Had we the opportunity we'd go back to the two blade is a second. Bill

Wow - read the thread sonny posted - whew!

Lots of debate on the subject- I'll need more time to digest and discussion with the prop heads. Lots of time until I have to choose.

Back