What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans Landing Light Kit

shiney

Well Known Member
I've installed the Vans landing light kit but I can't find the paperwork for it. Does anyone who has made the installation know the following;

Amps
Volts
Fuse size
AWG size

Many thanks

Martin

I don't think Van's publishes that information.

Assuming you have a 12V electrical system, then the light is recieving 12V (actually about 13.8V if the alternator is running).

If you have a 50Watt bulb installed, then at 13.8 V the light is drawing 50W/13.8V=3.6 Amps of current (+ losses to wiring). If you have a 100W bulb installed, it'll draw twice as much current at the same voltage.

You'll have to size your fuses and wiring to account for that plus a margin, plus the loss to the wiring. The Aeroelectric Connection by Bob Knuckolls is a good reference book for doing that.

Cheers,
Guy

wing lamps

Hi guy
Here's what I did on my 9A. Used Vans Duckworks lamp kits with 100 watt bulbs in them. I have one in each wing. 10A switch breaker for each wing, and due to the length of the run I upsized to 14 Ga. Tefzel wire. Local bond near the lamp run with 14. The circuit draws 6.75 Amps hot and running.

Good luck...Chris

Back