What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans fuel sender removal ?

I have read where more than one have been able to pull that off. Not sure I've seen anyone do it in an RV-3 though. It looks like tough work to me.

Vans fuel sender removal

My fuel gauges are off on the low side. I would like them to be closer. If that is your problem I may have a fix without removal

I seem to remember that we had to do it on our -3 after we had the wings on Larry - I don't remember any details, so it either wasn't bad, or it was so bad I blocked it out.....

Larry Parham, wat is your idea ?

Larry, I used this thread instead of PM to respond to you cause others might benefit from your idea. My recent post asked electrical types how to calibrate the gauge for reserve redline accurateley with a trim pot or some arrangement. Nobody responded. What is your idea ?

My Idea

Correct me if don't agree...
The rehostat is 240 ohms with a empty tank...and 30 ohms full which equals 210 ohms...each gallon of fuel equals 11.66 ohms...Lets say my left tank has two gallons of fuel left when the needle hits the peg ,that equals around 23 ohms so I would need to add 23 ohms in series to allow the needle to hit the peg when I run out of fuel. Just thinking out loud. Tell me where I am wrong

Correct me if don't agree...
The rehostat is 240 ohms with a empty tank...and 30 ohms full which equals 210 ohms...each gallon of fuel equals 11.66 ohms...Lets say my left tank has two gallons of fuel left when the needle hits the peg ,that equals around 23 ohms so I would need to add 23 ohms in series to allow the needle to hit the peg when I run out of fuel. Just thinking out loud. Tell me where I am wrong

This means the rehostat is linear correct? My fuel gages are entirely inaccurate and I need to dig into this. Any help is appreciated.

Vans fuel sender removal ? IT WORKED

Was out at the hanger yesterday and tried several combinations of resistors. Ended up with 2.5 ohms. All I had was 10 and 22 and 100
ohms and I had 4, 10 ohms in parallel. Pulled the S wire off the gauge and ran the 2.5 ohm from the S to ground and it moved the needle 1/4 inch. 10 ohms moved it 1 inch. Did not have time to drain and fill to test the results but I will.

Back