What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans fuel gauge

jeff beckley

Well Known Member
I ordered vans fuel gauge "IE VFL15". While I have a 7A that holds 42 gal the gauge shows max 15 gal "thats 30gal total for folks in Reo Linda"
Is this a big deal or not?

It is my understanding, that due to the way the float works, at 15 gals, the gauge will read full. The float sender cannot tell the difference within the last 6 gallons. The capactive plates are capable of keep track longer.

I think Vans theory on measuring fuel in an RV wing tank with resistive senders is that the reading will be pretty much meaningless until the fuel level gets down to about 3/4 full in the tank(s). Above 3/4, the sender float is most likely fully submerged. Once you get below 3/4 full, the float actually starts floating and fuel measurement is possible although not very accurate at that level. As the fuel level goes down, the measurement becomes more and more accurate.

J.C.

Yup

Yup JC is right. This is to the dihedral of the wing and the placment of the fuel sender float. When the tank is full the fuel will be above the max height of the float since it is located at the lowest point in the fuel tank. You have to burn off about six gallons before the float can start to come down and indicate a fuel burn.

Back