What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans error, Fuel Tank vent

Pat Stewart

Well Known Member
Vent line plugged

Today's second problem, After completing my engine runs last week I noticed when I removed the fuel caps the right tank had a vacuum. Today I started investigating and did not like what I found. The kit is a QB and the fuel tanks come complete. Each fuel tank has a vent line that runs inside the tank about 63 inches long. The vent line stops just short of the outboard rib and just forward of the fuel cap. I could barely get a finger on the end of the tube and could feel what felt like pro-seal. A small mirror confirmed the pro-seal. I tried to get it out with the limited access with no success. I will be calling Vans Monday morning requesting that they provide a new R/H fuel tank ASAP as I am only a couple of weeks away from my inspection.

Pat

Last edited:
Pat This is what I did on my 7. Remove the inspection plate and loosen the vent line nut inside the tank so you could get enough tubing out the fuel cap hole. Than maybe all you have to do is cut off the tip of tubing to remove the pro-seal. I just repair a vent line inside the tank at the fitting and was able to pull some line out the fuel cap to pressure test the line after the repair.
Squeak

Just a thought, get a long piece of stainless leader wire. Just longer than the vent line and a slightly smaller diameter. Chuck it up in a drill and feed it into the vent line from the external fitting. It should be flexible enough to make the bend to the fuel cap. the spinning should clean out the pro-seal. I have not tried this, but it would be something I would do first.

. . . I am only a couple of weeks away from my inspection. . .

BTW, I need some place to fly. I want to go north to see my dad, but 60 knot headwinds have dulled my desire. When you get close to first flight, send me a text. I just might have to pop down.

Once you take the vent line nut off the fitting inside the tank than you can move the line toward the fuel cap hole and pull it out with your finger or a wire hook.
Worked for me.
Squeak

We have discussed music wire as an option. But this appears to be packed in good. Also we thought about cutting off 1/4 of the tube but even if I could get something in there to cut the tube I worry about a spark. I am amazed that they pressure checked the tanks and did not find this problem. Squeak
it sounds like I am not the first. What did Vans say.

Alton I will give you a call when I am confident of a test flight date, KZPH is only about 1 1/2 hours from Headland.

Thanks Pat

Today's second problem, After completing my engine runs last week I noticed when I removed the fuel caps the right tank had a vacuum. Today I started investigating and did not like what I found. The kit is a QB and the fuel tanks come complete. Each fuel tank has a vent line that runs inside the tank about 63 inches long. The vent line stops just short of the outboard rib and just forward of the fuel cap. I could barely get a finger on the end of the tube and could feel what felt like pro-seal. A small mirror confirmed the pro-seal. I tried to get it out with the limited access with no success. I will be calling Vans Monday morning requesting that they provide a new R/H fuel tank ASAP as I am only a couple of weeks away from my inspection.

Pat

Here is my version....

http://www.vansairforce.com/community/showthread.php?t=16771&highlight=plugged+vent+line

We have discussed music wire as an option. . . . .
Alton I will give you a call when I am confident of a test flight date, KZPH is only about 1 1/2 hours from Headland.

Thanks Pat

Hey, try a #16 or #14 stranded aircraft wire. Trim back the insulation maybe 1/4" and spin it in there.

I am off all this week and then the next two weekends. After that, it is anybody's guess. Good luck. Did you get all of the avionics issues ironed out?

I would think that high pressure on the vent line would blow it out. 100+psi.
You should easily be able to retrieve it through the filler cap.

I have had exactly the same and so has Mike. I just blew it out with compressed air. Lost the piece of proseal, but I cannot see that it will restrict fuel flow at the pick-up so I am happy with this 1 second solution.

Not sure if I am the Mike referred to by Jan in the above post, but I also had a plugged vent line, and the plug was interior to the tank.

I removed the close out fairing on top of the wing root, removed the vent line, and re-installed it pointing up.

Then I slipped a piece of hose on it, used safety wire to secure the hose to the alum tube, and hit it with an air gun, with the fuel cap off.

Opened it up just fine:D

Last edited:
Caution on blowing out the vent line

I am assuming that the fuel cap is OFF / uninstalled / removed before blowing air through the vent line.

Correct???

Can you try using a curved metal pick and try...

inserting it and twisting/pulling to pry loose a piece. I don't imagine it is a large piece of proseal, but that stuff definitely likes to hold on. If you poke and twist in a couple spots and then apply your air it should blow out.

We used a dental pick type tool, we bent it so that we could pull in directly into the pro seal, we must have got it in 1/8 of an inch but did not Punch through the pro seal. It worked with again this morning with no luck.

Pat

Drain the tank, fill it with water, heat the end of the

1/4" alum tube with soldering iron/modified lighter/hot piece of 3/8" od copper tubing with proper bends...then apply up to 500 psi nitrogen pressure to alum line. Your brake lines are the same 3003 alum tubing so no worries there.

Yes I was referring to you Mike.
It is just logical that the cap is off.
This one really seems to hold on :eek:

The guys at Vans helped with a plan. If I wanted to wait several weeks for a tank they would provide one. I am not willing to wait. The proposed repair is to remove the tank, drill a 3/4 inch hole in the outboard rib in line with the vent line but with enough E.D. for a repair. Drill out the proseal in the end of the vent line. Perform a sheet metal repair on the rib using pop rivets and proseal.

Simple repair but will probably take all weekend and impact my completion schedule. Guess what I am doing this weekend.

Pat

Tank vent line fixed. I did not remove the tank. I ended up with a pair of needle nose vice grips and a jig saw metal cutting blade. I was able to go through the fuel tank cap opening and saw off 1/4 inch of the tube. Sure enough about 1/8 inch of pro-seal stuck in the end.

I am very happy to get this fixed without removing the tank.

Pat

Back