What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Van's dimmer

RV7A Flyer

Well Known Member
Patron
I have the little dimmer circuit from Van's on my cockpit LED lights. Tonight, they wouldn't dim and I knew that one of the wires had come out of the cheesy little screw connectors. Easy fix, but while doing it, I realized I had the "optional ground" wire from the instructions installed, but didn't need it for it to work.

So...what is it there for? Reinserted the other wire from the pot and tightened it down, working fine.

What's the purpose of the optional ground wire??? If it's unnecessary, I'll crawl up underneath the panel during annual and remove it...gotta save weight, you know :)

ETA: Somebody posted this image of the installation sheet with the wiring diagram:

Scan+101170001.jpg

Last edited:
The instructions state that "the mounting completes the required ground connection," meaning the dimmer module gets its ground through the mounting holes. So if you installed the module on a nonmetallic surface or did not want to rely on local airframe grounding, then the optional ground wire may be installed.

Since it's already there and working fine, why not leave well enough alone?

The instructions state that "the mounting completes the required ground connection," meaning the dimmer module gets its ground through the mounting holes. So if you installed the module on a nonmetallic surface or did not want to rely on local airframe grounding, then the optional ground wire may be installed.

Since it's already there and working fine, why not leave well enough alone?

Because I think it's part of the reason the wires come out (this is twice)...two wires in one hole, getting mashed by the screw. And when it does come out, it's a royal PITA to get *both* of them back in (somewhat difficult access, small wires, little bitty screw, etc.).

Thanks for the explanation...that's sort of what I expected, but I missed that in the documentation.

One option for the optional ground wire would be to install a ring end and mount it under one of the mounting screws. Leaves only the pot wire in the little screw down hole.

One option for the optional ground wire would be to install a ring end and mount it under one of the mounting screws. Leaves only the pot wire in the little screw down hole.

I'm not sure what that solves. The fault is the wire(s) in the little screw down hole coming loose, not the other end (Fast-On to FOT ground block).

I'm not sure what that solves. The fault is the wire(s) in the little screw down hole coming loose, not the other end (Fast-On to FOT ground block).

It would move the second wire out of the little screw hole and let the ground wire go from the FOT ground block to the case of the unit.

This might help if you don't have a good physical ground from the case to whatever surface you are mounting it to.

It would move the second wire out of the little screw hole and let the ground wire go from the FOT ground block to the case of the unit.

This might help if you don't have a good physical ground from the case to whatever surface you are mounting it to.

Oh, I see what you're saying...I misunderstood it. Rather than remove the wire entirely, just connect it to a mounting post. Yeah, that could work. Be easier than pulling the wire out itself (and I refuse to leave abandoned wires in place in the plane :) ).

Thanks for the suggestion!

Back