What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans default Prop Governor control cable too long?

grayforge

Well Known Member
Hi everyone,

I remounted my engine after a bunch of firewall work and when I fitted the prop governor control cable through the specified location in the firewall, then to the governor bracket (on a PCU5000X/Jihostroj), I had to make a pretty sharp 'S' between the panel and firewall to accommodate the length. If it were 5.0" shorter (43" vs 48"), there would be a very nice gentle 'S' between panel and firewall.

Have others seen the same thing? I don't have a photo of the tight 'S', but the photo below shows how I think it should look firewall forward.

What do others think?

Thanks,
Russ

DSC00841_zoom.JPG

I had a similar issue with my PCU5000X and the original cable. I bought a shorter one (maybe 42"?) and sold the original one here on VAF.

Don

different location/orientation perhaps?

I always assumed that the original buyer of my kit planned for a different engine with the prop governor in a different location... but what do I know? Perhaps simply a matter of a different orientation of the governor control arm. You could see how a governor in the same location with the support arm in the vertical plane would eat up that five inches in a hurry.

Don

Good point. Better too long than too short.

I went ahead and pulled the trigger on a custom version of that ACS cable through Spruce. Crazy expensive, but worth it to me to not have extra cable snaking through the plane. Saves an ounce or two of weight too. :)

Back